Erm...Male Chameleon Growing Up...

bluegoldfish

Erm don't know how quite to put this...

Today my male ambilobe panther chameleon had some of his "male fluids" released this morning, and then this afternoon his "male parts" came out and went back in.
He is about 4/5months old.
Is this normal for his age, and do i only have to worry if they...erm don't go back in?
Will this behaviour happen often?
Does this mean he wants to mate, or is just part of his growing up? i dont have a lady chameleon for him, and i erm didnt expext this behaviour off him until he was a bit older?

Thanks in advance :)

From what I've read it can be a serious problem, Its called a prolapse when the hemipen (sp) comes out and doesn't go back in.... I'm sure someone else here will give you more details but watch out for it and see if it happens again...

Sounds to me like he was ejecting a sperm plug. It's something that males will do starting when they are coming into adult hood. It doesn't happen too often. There is alwyas a slight rish when males have their hemipenes exposed, cuts, infection, etc. However this is a normal habit, and you cannot stop it. It's habitual and instinctive.

You don't need to mate them. Toss that idea out the window.

Erm and his hormones :)

Unless his male organs don't go back in it is normal, and actually healthy. You are going to see semi dried or dried material sticking to branches or on the bottom of the cage on a weekly basis. The material starts out small at this age and will end up being quite noticeable when he is an adult. If you ever see something not go in it is time for the vet. If an adult male does not eject this material periodically an owner should feel either side of the tail bulge to see if there is any hardened material stuck in there. If you ever feel something like that, instead of the evenly smooth and soft tail bulge, then the male is "plugged up". There is a way to unplug them but it is often best to visit the vet to find the reason for the plugging up situation. It is often a symptom of an illness or diet deficiency. But with Erm........I think you are seeing something perfectly normal :)

Back
Top Bottom