Enclosure Placement Question

ChameleonCarson

Hello, I just got my first Chameleon. He is a Veiled Chameleon which I got for just 30 bucks; an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I have an extensive history of keeping reptiles, learning from my father who bred exotic reptiles such as flying dragons, parson chameleons, sulcata tortoises and various snakes. I have always been wary of Chameleons, because I remember my father deciding to only keep them in outside enclosures due to the increase in their health he observed. This of course was in California and Florida though; and I now live in Vermont. He also warned me that they are more difficult compared to other reptiles such as iguanas or bearded dragons. Over the past decade I have raised armadillo lizards, Egyptian sandfish, some emerald swifts, and quite a few newts, along with other animals like chickens, dogs and whatever else I want at my farm. I feel confident in my capabilities of caring for animals, but I am still nervous abut my first chameleon. As of now my chameleon, Chamillionaire, is doing fine in his juvenile setup. I have been a bit neurotic about checking his temps, humidity, and ensuring privacy (sorry for rambling.)
002.JPG

My neurotic tendencies bring me to my actual question, which of these two spots is better for my enclosure to go?

I am constructing a nice tall screen enclosure for him/her to move into when the time comes. One of the two possible locations is in my living room, right next to my oven in my kitchen. I like this spot because it receives excellent natural light. I usually keep plants here and they do great, but moved them so I could see how big the area is.
011.JPG

So spot one is nice because my wife and I can observe the chameleon throughout the day here, and it gets some amazing natural light. I check the temps and humidity of the terrarium every couple of hours, day and night, so this would make that part very easy. (I run a gourmet mushroom farm, and half my life is ensuring temps and humidity remain constant in my fruiting greenhouses despite the horrid weather outside. This has resulted in a serious paranoia, as a failing fogger, fan, or heating element means almost instant death of my crops. I have thousands of dollars worth of environmental controllers, cycle timers, etc. that I utilize, but I do not trust them because I have had failures before.)

I am concerned about the amount of traffic and noise here though. I have 3 dogs, and this is the door they use to go in and out throughout the day. My dogs run and jump everywhere and bark like crazy. I also have surround sound speakers which I blast rap music and action movies through most of the day. Also, I use my stove for pressure cookers most of the time, which also make some alarming noises. My sandfish live in this room and have gotten use to the speakers, dogs, and my cat, but it is very easy for them to disappear under the sand when bothered. I fear a chameleon would commit suicide from all of this.

Spot two is probably better for the chameleon, but not for me or my wife. It is downstairs in an unused bathroom/water heater room.
008.JPG

This room gets some sunlight in the morning through that window, but only for a couple of hours a day. My dogs and cat only go in this room when they have managed to sneak downstairs into this area, so other than the water pump and heater running, there is not much noise at all here. I do use that hose every other day or so. When I open the window to put the hose outside it drops the temp in the room from 70 to about 55 in a few seconds, but the heater kicks on and brings it back up just as quickly. Also, my wife and I never spend time down there. The only time we would be able to enjoy Chamillionaire is when we specifically go down there to feed, clean, or otherwise check on the terrarium.

I am looking for thoughts from those with experience in either scenario.

Have you ever maintained a chameleon enclosure in a room with high amounts of animal traffic and loud noises? Is the stress too much for them to stay healthy for long?

Have you ever maintained a chameleon enclosure in an unused room that you do not frequent often? Does the special chameleon sanctuary provide enough health benefits to make up for the fact that nobody gets to observe the chameleon unless specifically choosing to allocate time to do so? Have you ever gone to your chameleon sanctuary only to discover your heat lamp burnt out, your drainage system flooded, your lights have been on for 24 hours a day, or any other catastrophe?

Perhaps the chance of an unexpected failure is small enough to be preferable to the guaranteed chance of my dogs, cat, and music causing stress on a daily level.

Thank you for reading my post, and thank you in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
The noise wouldn't be a problem chameleons don't have good hearing at all, but the traffic is another thing. Especially the going in and out. The sun coming through the window will only be beneficial to your plants UVB from the sun can't go through glass. The other spot other than the concerns you brought up I would be real concerned about the quick temperature drop. Veileds are real tolerant of temps, but one dropping that fast don't sound good. Is this your only options? You need something in-between these two areas you described. I'm sorry I haven't been much help, but you have yourself a real conundrum here. I have mine at the dinning table, and they seem to tolerate that, but there isn't near the traffic you are describing in the first scenario. Good luck:)

Thanks so much. If that temp drop is too much of an issue I can just run the hose out of that bathroom and out of my garage instead of using the window. I forgot that glass filters out the UVB, so that benefit is a moot point I guess. After writing all this out I have began leaning toward the designated room just for the chameleon, despite not being able to see it all of the time. Thank you so much for the help.

Interesting about their ears. Right now my terrarium is setup in my bedroom, and I avoid going in there during the day unless I am feeding or cleaning. I assumed the chameleon could hear me, cause when it has its eyes closed it will open them and look at me as soon as I walk in there. Maybe it is the vibrations of me walking that causes the alert reaction.

Oh yeah, these are the only two spots I have available. My house has a crazy steep peaked roof for the snow, so the inside roof is also angled on both sides of the house. I do not have very many spots for anything tall. I plan on building the new terrarium at least 4 feet tall and then placing it on a 2 or 3 foot shelf to have drainage underneath, so it needs to go somewhere with a full 7 foot clearance. I will probably clean out spot 2 and make it just for the chameleon.

That sounds like a plan. It's what I would do in your situation. Yah it probably was the vibration he was felling. From what I gathered they only hear in a low frequency. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.:)

Back
Top Bottom