Egg bound chameleon

Teamjmon

Hello my chameleon has been in the same spot now for atleast a day. She is gravid and needs to lay eggs. I rescued her and her hind legs are really weak she might have some mbd . Just in case though I ordered a new uvb light . Since she can’t use her hind legs I digged her a tunnel. However the tunnel is small . She is in the tunnel right now but she only fits halfway in . Looking like a flag pole . Idk what to do ? Is she stuck , is she laying eggs ?. Should I take her out and dig a bigger tunnel? Pls help. What are some signs of her being egg bound?

Did you see Dr. Stahl?
Did she go in the tunnel herself or did you put her there?
Is she butt down or nose down?

She looks very full of eggs in the photo you posted and may be eggbound. The weak back legs can be from pressure of the eggs in the leg area. Is she sitting with her eyes open or closed?

Did you see Dr. Stahl?
Did she go in the tunnel herself or did you put her there?
Is she butt down or nose down?
No I have not , I’m making an appointment rn. She went in the tunnel herself. Her but was down in the tunnel. She was sitting in it eyes closed I believe. I made a bigger tunnel and now she’s sitting in it , it looks more like a cave .

If she has her butt in the tunnel and face out of the hole let her try to lay them. Give her privacy do not keep looking. She should try to cover her hole when she is done. Once she comes back up water her really well and feed her.

If she has her butt in the tunnel and face out of the hole let her try to lay them. Give her privacy do not keep looking. She should try to cover her hole when she is done. Once she comes back up water her really well and feed her.
The thing is her hind legs are really weak to a point that it looks paralyzed . How is she gonna cover up the tunnel . I have her cage half blocked with a blanket . I will giver her privacy but I’m worried she’s egg bound.

The thing is her hind legs are really weak to a point that it looks paralyzed . How is she gonna cover up the tunnel . I have her cage half blocked with a blanket . I will giver her privacy but I’m worried she’s egg bound.
If she is egg bound your only option is a reptile vet that actually has cham experience... and asap.

I just saw the pics of her in your other thread. She is extremely overweight. Also it looks like she has edema... Common in females if they are having issues with eggs and or incorrect supplementation.

Also how long does the egg laying process take ? And should I mist the cage or leave it be , cuz I don’t want to disturb her.

Also how long does the egg laying process take ? And should I mist the cage or leave it be , cuz I don’t want to disturb her.
No do not mist at all... Not until she is done and comes back up.

If she got her self into the tunnel she may very well be trying to lay them. A normal egg laying process with a healthy female from what I have seen that my friends here with females post typically 24 hours start to finish. But this includes them digging their hole.

No do not mist at all... Not until she is done and comes back up.

If she got her self into the tunnel she may very well be trying to lay them. A normal egg laying process with a healthy female from what I have seen that my friends here with females post typically 24 hours start to finish. But this includes them digging their hole.
I see , so should I wait 1 or 2 days before taking her to the vet . Or should I take her immediately ? The vet I’m taking her to has chameleon experience it’s called stahls exotic.

I see , so should I wait 1 or 2 days before taking her to the vet . Or should I take her immediately ? The vet I’m taking her to has chameleon experience it’s called stahls exotic.
and yeh she’s overweight I’m feeding her a bit of carnivore care every other day so she can start losing weight . The previous owners were a bit misinformed and thought she needed to eat everyday . She also had bad uvb setup . She’s currently using reptisun t5 ho

and yeh she’s overweight I’m feeding her a bit of carnivore care every other day so she can start losing weight . The previous owners were a bit misinformed and thought she needed to eat everyday . She also had bad uvb setup . She’s currently using reptisun t5 ho
So you should not be force feeding her at all if she is eating on her own. This is only used when a cham is not eating at all. It is very stressful for them and with her holding eggs dangerous if your grabbing her. Also there is risk of aspiration since their airway is in the front of the mouth. She should only technically be eating 3 feeders 3 days a week once she gets through this clutch.

Per the vet this is a call I am not willing to make. I am not there to see her and see if she is actually laying. I would hate to interupt her if she is managing to get them out. So keep an eye on her and see what you think. If she is laying in the hole and her eyes are closed that is not a good sign.

So you should not be force feeding her at all if she is eating on her own. This is only used when a cham is not eating at all. It is very stressful for them and with her holding eggs dangerous if your grabbing her. Also there is risk of aspiration since their airway is in the front of the mouth. She should only technically be eating 3 feeders 3 days a week once she gets through this clutch.

Per the vet this is a call I am not willing to make. I am not there to see her and see if she is actually laying. I would hate to interupt her if she is managing to get them out. So keep an eye on her and see what you think. If she is laying in the hole and her eyes are closed that is not a good sign.
Ok thank u so much for ur help, I just peeped at the cage and her eyes were open . I will wait 24 hours and then take her to the vet just to make sure .

Ok thank u so much for ur help, I just peeped at the cage and her eyes were open . I will wait 24 hours and then take her to the vet just to make sure .
Since tomorrow is a Saturday make sure they are open. Hopefully she will lay them without issue. But I would consider a vet visit with a good reptile vet after she lays to ensure she got them all out. Sometimes they will retain eggs when they are not healthy and weak like this.

If she's I. The hole won't disturb her at least...don't le her see you at all...give her privacy...pray she lays her eggs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom