Ecological Restoration And Reforestation Of Fragmented Forests In Kianjavato, Madagascar (PDF)

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
This article/PDF is about a forest restoration that happened and is going on in Southeastern Madagascar in the Kianjavato Commune area. This study covers some important topics such as sustainable forest practices, such as restored forest tree's grown to/for rebuild native forests, wildlife habitat, lumber, fireplace charcoal, and sustainable food resources for the local Malagasy. This commune is located near Ranomafana National Park. That makes this forest restoration most probably a Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii habitat restoration. There are similar restorations and sustainability programs going on in Madagascar. However more has to be done.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijecol/2013/726275/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Great article....I need to read it again though.
I liked that they did this..."Seeds for the Permanent Tier collected from black and white ruffed lemur fecal samples were subjected to six different treatments to identify the method with the highest germination success to maximize efficiency in seedling production."

Great article....I need to read it again though.
I liked that they did this..."Seeds for the Permanent Tier collected from black and white ruffed lemur fecal samples were subjected to six different treatments to identify the method with the highest germination success to maximize efficiency in seedling production."
Seed germination can be difficult. Collecting seeds that have passed through native animals digestive systems is one of the techniques to start native seeds off to germinate. To my knowledge the seedlings are also normally/can be more resilient than seedlings grown without seeds that passing through the system of local native species. One of the restorations I was a part of, made a detail to start seeds to seedlings, then grow seedlings in as close to the native environment (lighting and water) as possible. That way when they were planted the seedlings were totally acclimated to the seedlings new home.

Although I would not want to be the one collecting seeds. However if you had to you should invest in some good latex gloves.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I've had to look through dog poop to find things before...I'm sure looking through other animal poop can't be much worse!

I knew it was a good thing that they used the seeds from the lemurs for the reasons you indicated.

Where was the restoration you were art of?

I've had to look through dog poop to find things before...I'm sure looking through other animal poop can't be much worse!

I knew it was a good thing that they used the seeds from the lemurs for the reasons you indicated.

Where was the restoration you were art of?
Art?!?

I actually have done more than a couple restorations. The one I was referencing was a 6 month internship in 2014 at SPAWN, Salmon Protection And Watershed Network. I have done other restorations locally and elsewhere in the USA.

This is a link to SPAWN's site.
https://seaturtles.org/our-work/our...3zjhrgTudeqL9emvtO6lguJWwTLs2UTdrNe0q2mdWT9X4

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There are more than a couple ways to make seeds germinate. To my knowledge there are only a select difficult few that require passing through the digestive system on native animal species to simulate the seeds to germinate. The vast majority of species can be germinated by other means. The growth percentages are another topic.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Do you have species in mind?
I have got some specific species in mind. However at this stage in the planning it is to early to say openly what are the candidate species for restoration. Thing are progressing slowly. However I am passionate about this topic and agenda meaning I am going to continue. One thing I can say is I have talked to people at my restoration internship in Marin County and others that have jobs with the BLM about some of these possible restoration and had a posssitive response about starting possible restoration programs. I am considering species from the genus Calumma, Furcifer , Trioceros and Kinyongia.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom