eating sand

Gaarman

Hey all,

i have a 6 month old veiled male and i give him (iam dutch spelling mayb wrong) minerals and vitamins by powdering his food (crickets and grasshoppers). But sometimes he climbs to 1 of the lower branches and starts shooting his tongue to the bottom of his cage. There is sand on the bottom and some sand sticks to his tongue when he retract it. He does this 1 time and sometimes 4 times in a row and climbs back up, his poop doesnt look weird, he eats good and drinks also and hes active. Why does he do it? Can it be dangerous or can i compare it with a cat eating grass or something?

can't really say why he does it... maybe he sees little bugs in there that are too small for you to notice? I'm sure a little sand will go through his system just fine but if he does this regularly you might want to play it safe and get rid of the sand...

I've never seen anyone use sand as a chameleon's substrate, it's mainly for desert animals I think

I think they do it to aid in digestion like birds do. Or because they are in need of minerals in there diet. Check basking temps now that we are going into winter also how often are you supplementing with vitamins?

Back
Top Bottom