Eating devils ivy roots

Ossian

Hi Guys,

a quick question, my baby veiled is eating the small thin spindly roots of the devils' ivy plant which I have in his enclosure. I covered the soil with a sheet of grippy mesh and some stones to try and stop him getting at the roots, but there are some holes and roots still poking out, how much of an issue is this? thanks

I know chameleons can eat Pothos leaves, but I'm not sure about roots. They might be able to eat the roots, I think, if they can eat the leaves. Pothos are only labelled toxic to mammals, and are safe for reptiles, I think.

This plant—a.k.a. golden pothos—has been the subject of some controversy.
golden pothos toxicity

Without beating that dead horse further, or getting into the reasons for your chams behavior (I'm sure others will address those issues), I think it's probably not a bad idea in this case to dissuade it. If it's no harm to the cham (IDK) it may still harm the plant having its roots decimated.

I would transplant the pothos (into a slightly larger pot if necessary) to create more space at the top, and increase the depth of the layer of pebbles. I'm not sure what your grippy mesh is, but maybe replace with a piece with a bit more integrity; you still want air & water to be able to penetrate—just not roots & tongues. ;) :)

Back
Top Bottom