Dubia Roach Colony

Hello Im attempting to set up a Dubia roach colony. I have all the supplies but am struggling to keep the temperature up to 95 degrees. Will the Dubia roaches breed at 80 degrees? If not what can I do to crank up the heat? I have a heating pad in the container already but apparently it’s not hot enough.

95 isn't necessary, mine breed like crazy around 85, but they can take warmer. They should breed at 80 still, but a little slower. The warmer the temps, the more they eat, breed, and grow. I guess it all depends on how fast you need them.

Mine do fine at 70-75. Infact i have to take them to the 65f basement just to get the little suckers to calm down.

Dubias are either feast or famine. You either wonder if the colony is dying off, or you are offering handfuls to the neighbors.

I have my colony in a semi-heated garage, been in the 50's during the winter/spring time. I had to add an additional seed heating mat to mine along with wrapping it in silver/bubble insulation. Once I did that, it has easily maintained the 87 degrees set temperature.

Hello Im attempting to set up a Dubia roach colony. I have all the supplies but am struggling to keep the temperature up to 95 degrees. Will the Dubia roaches breed at 80 degrees? If not what can I do to crank up the heat? I have a heating pad in the container already but apparently it’s not hot enough.

80, 85 is fine.

I'm going to recommend this book to everyone.

https://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/For-the-Love-of-Cockroaches-bic27.htm

It's a priceless addition to any collection.

Niceee, are you one of the invert people with tons of colonies? (I have uhh 38 roach species lol)

Florida throws a wrench in that collection but yes, I have had a lot of inverts.

By the way, two dark horses as far as roaches go, are periplaneta americana and australasiae. Both are cheeky roaches that actually get used to their keepers, some would even allow gentle handling especially with food bribes.

My favorite achievement was training them to be out in the middle of the day, by changing the feeding times around, eventually they carried on in daylight like it was night time.

Florida throws a wrench in that collection but yes, I have had a lot of inverts.

By the way, two dark horses as far as roaches go, are periplaneta americana and australasiae. Both are cheeky roaches that actually get used to their keepers, some would even allow gentle handling especially with food bribes.

My favorite achievement was training them to be out in the middle of the day, by changing the feeding times around, eventually they carried on in daylight like it was night time.

I can believe that. It seems a lot of my roaches come out during the day now. Americans are pretty interesting, I remember seeing a video of one killing and eating a cricket. That said, I think the closest I can get to a pest species is lobsters.

I started as a terrified-of-roaches reptile keeper. Got hooked on offering variety to my cham and next thing I know, I'm buying roaches just because i think they look cool.

I can believe that. It seems a lot of my roaches come out during the day now. Americans are pretty interesting, I remember seeing a video of one killing and eating a cricket. That said, I think the closest I can get to a pest species is lobsters.

I started as a terrified-of-roaches reptile keeper. Got hooked on offering variety to my cham and next thing I know, I'm buying roaches just because i think they look cool.

Funny thing is, even in Florida, the American and Australian roaches die quickly unless they have access to water. There infestation powers are over rated by far. I generally find them desperately trying to get back outside after accidentally wandering in. If you can get over the bad reputation go for them. P. americana and australasiae are worthy additions.

Back
Top Bottom