Drinking water

kylocats

I have not seen my baby veil drink any water from the moisture on the plants. I took out the waterfall Sunday night and have not seen her drink since. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

For a while, i have noticed my panthers doing the same thing. I just do (like Julirs said) misting, and mroe misting....and some more. If they still dont drink, i always keep in mind that reptiles can absorb water through there skin, and chameleons more so then many others.

Thanks,
Jake

I have had my baby veiled for a month. He looks well hydrated, but I have NEVER seen him drink. I mist 2 to 3 times daily, and have a slow dripper going that cascades over leaves in his cage.

I think he is a "secret" drinker.

Just mist and mist and mist ...make sure the plants is covered with water droplets... for veiled chameleon, they get their water from the humid air, when they are dehydrated they will start licking water droplet on leaves.

Agree with all of the above with the misting but want to ask you what type of enclosure you keep your baby in. The reason is that if it is a well ventilated screen cage, then the heavy misting shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you have the chameleon in an aquarium, you might want to wipe the bottom of any excess water that pools there as it can cause excess humidity in the tank once it evaporates and could potentially lead to upper respiratory infections. Make sure to keep a good eye on temperature and humidity as they also play a factor on how much and how frequent a chameleon drinks.

Good luck,
Ivan

I too have a secret drinker.

I've had my veiled 3 months and seen him drink twice.

Once from misting. Once from droplets.

I have a dripper, and I soak his cage twice a day, so I just make sure I cover my bases, and make sure he looks healthy.

Agree with all of the above with the misting but want to ask you what type of enclosure you keep your baby in. The reason is that if it is a well ventilated screen cage, then the heavy misting shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you have the chameleon in an aquarium, you might want to wipe the bottom of any excess water that pools there as it can cause excess humidity in the tank once it evaporates and could potentially lead to upper respiratory infections. Make sure to keep a good eye on temperature and humidity as they also play a factor on how much and how frequent a chameleon drinks.

Good luck,
Ivan

thanks for you reply. Right now she is in a glass enclosure (frm the pet shop). She is 9 weeks old. I am in the process of ordering a wire cage from FL Chams.

My pleasure to help. By no means reduce the misting, just wipe the excess water in the bottom and you should be ok.

Ivan

Would the case be the same for a panther chameleon?Cause hes dehydrated and i mist him ALOT and ive never seen him drink,i also give him showers too,only seen him drink a couple times.

Back
Top Bottom