Dreaded Pink Slime

MangoTango

Established Member
Hi guys,
I’ve been getting the dreaded pink slime all over my girl’s plants, walls, branches, everything! i’ve tried everything! and i’m at the point where i’m going to rip everything out and start fresh because it’s ridiculous and nothings working. I let the enclosure dry out completely between mistings, and they are short, so I don’t understand what’s going on. I also use reverse osmosis water in my mistking and rain zone which is a new mistking product, but have had the pink slime before the new product. I’m also going to try vinegar. help!!

Last weekend, I took the plants out of the enclosure. Took the enclosure outside. Branched and feeder run were still attached. I washed everything with Dawn dish detergent. Then sprayed the entire enclosure with water. I let everything sun dry. If that's not available I would wash everything with Dawn and use a fan to dry everything before returning the Chameleon. Make sure to rinse well.

I put the plants on their side and applied the above strategy. Splashed soapy water on plants and used the water hose to rinse. Once dry i returned them to the enclosure.

The pink slime is from high humidity. Try adding a computer/small fan to the top of the enclosure for more air flow.
Screenshot_20231004_205234_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I’m not sure what pink slime
Is - can you take a photo? I’ve heard of pink slime but not sure Ive seen it in an enclosure. That being said, I had artillery fungus crop up in soil I purchased from
bio dude, which caused a ton of issues for me. Its not bio dudes fault - the fungus likely stowed away in the bark that is used in the mix. The only resolution was to clean the enclosure and swap the soil.

I’m not sure what pink slime
Is - can you take a photo? I’ve heard of pink slime but not sure Ive seen it in an enclosure. That being said, I had artillery fungus crop up in soil I purchased from
bio dude, which caused a ton of issues for me. Its not bio dudes fault - the fungus likely stowed away in the bark that is used in the mix. The only resolution was to clean the enclosure and swap the soil.
she’s sleeping right now so I can’t get a good photo but I found a bit of it in the back of a recent pic. the leaf right of her tail. it’s slimy and pink and comes off, but if there’s even a trace amount of it left, it always returns

Attachments

• IMG_1760.png
    IMG_1760.png
    556.9 KB · Views: 35
and what’s your schedule with it? 24/7?
You have a beautiful girl. High humidity + bacteria - air flow = pink slime. I would run the fan 24/7 until the pink slime does not return. IMHO - I would remove as many plants as possible, while still giving your girl hiding areas,
spot clean daily, deep clean weekly until the situation is resolved. With the enclosure being mostly pvc it's probably a airflow issue. Veiled Chams require less humidity than most other Chams. I would find ways to reduce water and humidity in the enclosure until the slime situation resolves. And if that fails I would replace as many items as possible without high cost.

You have a beautiful girl. High humidity + bacteria - air flow = pink slime. I would run the fan 24/7 until the pink slime does not return. IMHO - I would remove as many plants as possible, while still giving your girl hiding areas,
spot clean daily, deep clean weekly until the situation is resolved. With the enclosure being mostly pvc it's probably an airflow issue. Veiled Chams require less humidity than most other Chams. I would find ways to reduce water and humidity in the enclosure until the slime situation resolves. And if that fails I would replace as many items as possible without high cost.
okay thank you soooo much !! super helpful!

okay thank you soooo much !! super helpful!
I’m late to this, but I also put a copper rod in my mister reservoir. I also have one in my dog gravity water bowl thing and that cut back the pink slime significantly. I never had that problem with the Cham, maybe because I have fans on there all the time. But my dogs water bowl would get pretty gross.

Back
Top Bottom