Dosing multiple meds - advice, please

Suzapalooza

Hi - I posted last week about our 8-month old male veiled Neil. He'd not been pooping and we were concerned.

Right after my post (my first), I discovered that we were not using the correct bulb - no UVB, just UVA. I'm very thankful that carol5208 identified the light issue, as I think our guy is suffering from mbd. He's very shaky and weak and is having issues grasping limbs (though he was spry and alert at the vet yesterday).

We've replaced the bulb, but he was under UVA-only for about 2.5 months. I'm checking with the pet shop (local, reputable) to ensure the lights there are UVB to have a full understanding of his condition.

The vet did an xray and found a very small blockage in the colon. He thinks it can pass and gave us lactulose, cisapride and a calcium supp (calcinate). He thought Neil's bones looked OK, not great, but with the supp and proper lighting he thought he'd grow stronger. We're optimistic as he was normal up until 10 days ago.

My questions:
1. We gave the first dose of meds yesterday, but it was a challenge to get his mouth open three times. He'd had a super-stressful day and was wiped out by the time we finished. Is it OK to mix all three meds and administer at one time? Total volume is .34 ml. He weighs 4 ozs.

2. I'd also like to give him a little water, too. He's been drinking a bit, but he's so weak now that I'm not sure he can still do that. Is it OK to give water via the syringe, too? Obviously a very small amount, but some is better than none. He'll sometimes drink from the spray bottle, but I don't want to chance him getting dehydrated.

3. The vet advised placing him in a shallow dish of warm water, as it could encourage him to pass the waste. (He's not strong enough to hold onto a plant for a shower). I know this is also another way to hydrate. I've seen recommendations for also adding pedialyte to the water, as they will absorb some through their skin. Does that help? Or is that overkill with all the meds?

Thank you in advance for any help.

The vet did an xray and found a very small blockage in the colon. He thinks it can pass and gave us lactulose, cisapride and a calcium supp (calcinate). He thought Neil's bones looked OK, not great, but with the supp and proper lighting he thought he'd grow stronger. We're optimistic as he was normal up until 10 days ago.

My questions:
1. We gave the first dose of meds yesterday, but it was a challenge to get his mouth open three times. He'd had a super-stressful day and was wiped out by the time we finished. Is it OK to mix all three meds and administer at one time? Total volume is .34 ml. He weighs 4 ozs.

2. I'd also like to give him a little water, too. He's been drinking a bit, but he's so weak now that I'm not sure he can still do that. Is it OK to give water via the syringe, too? Obviously a very small amount, but some is better than none. He'll sometimes drink from the spray bottle, but I don't want to chance him getting dehydrated.

3. The vet advised placing him in a shallow dish of warm water, as it could encourage him to pass the waste. (He's not strong enough to hold onto a plant for a shower). I know this is also another way to hydrate. I've seen recommendations for also adding pedialyte to the water, as they will absorb some through their skin. Does that help? Or is that overkill with all the meds?

Thank you in advance for any help.

IMHO you could combine the meds for the short time necessary to get them in to your cham. They'll mix in his stomach anyway. I agree that would be less stress on him. I doubt I'd mix much if any water with it unless its just a drop or two. The more volume you have to give the greater risk that he aspirates it while struggling with the syringe. Make sure you get the meds down the back of his throat to avoid the trachea which will be closer to the tongue. I'd let him drink all he wants shortly after you release him. Don't give him water right before the meds. Chams have small stomachs and no sphincter muscle between stomach and esophagus, so if they get too much volume too fast they may either throw it up or aspirate it.

I don't think I'd soak him in Pedialyte. Just use a little warm water if he'll tolerate that. If he struggles too much maybe just put him on a soft towel and mist him with warm water instead. They may absorb a little moisture through their skins, but nothing like an amphibian can. If he's drinking on his own let him drink as often as you can. Also, to help him stay hydrated watch the humidity level in his cage to make sure it doesn't get too dry between drinks. How do you monitor the humidity level now?

Thanks for the reply, Carlton.

We mist with a spray bottle several times a day and use a humidifier every so often. We also have a dripper, but no humidity gauge yet.

Since our current plants are plastic (going to live shortly), and they don't hold much water, we rigged a small, shallow jar lid at an angle under the dripper area, so that the water that falls from the leaves then drips into the angled lid, then into a small catch bowl at the bottom of the cage.

The lid doesn't hold much, but he's learned that it does collect water, so he drinks from there quite frequently.

We clean it daily to avoid contamination, as well as the catch bowl in the bottom. Here's a short, blurry video of him drinking from it this morning - right after I posted my question :)

http://youtu.be/En4UTlC3zXQ

Back
Top Bottom