Does my Cham look normal?

malle000999

Hey, so I have never owned a chameleon before and I wanted to check if everything is okay. So does my Cham look normal or is there something that doesn’t look right?

like is she dehydrated or something

She has a thermal burn that I’m currently working on healing.

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- veiled chameleon
- female
- in my care 3 months
- age 7 months

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
- I haven’t Handel her only hand feed

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
- grasshoppers about 5-6 every other day
-I feed my feeders weeds from my yard or oats or cucumber

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting
your feeders with and what is the schedule?
-calsium and d3 2 times a week
-with nekton

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
- yes I see her drinking, sometimes
- I have a dripper and it’s always on except at night
-I mist about 2 minutes 3-5 times a day

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
- I don’t know if she has been tested the seller did not tell me
-she is normally dark green, but right know she is turquoise
-her poop is fine with the little yellow/white thing

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
- she laid eggs 1 month ago

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
-screen cage 61 cm 61 cm 122cm

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
-HID with a uv-b light

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
-a spot with 30° and the bottom 22° and the rest is 25°

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
- I don’t know the humidity

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
- I use live plants all chameleon safe

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
-located in my room by my door next to a window
- about 50 cm from the roof

* Location - Where are you geographically located?
-location is in Denmark

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
- if she looks normal

Attachments

• 620372DF-4AEC-4879-AE7C-77633D622E06.jpeg
    620372DF-4AEC-4879-AE7C-77633D622E06.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 277D79E1-0362-45EC-A16D-330769ED4C4C.jpeg
    277D79E1-0362-45EC-A16D-330769ED4C4C.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 115
  • F2F6BB4D-D89E-405F-AEAE-E7565439197A.jpeg
    F2F6BB4D-D89E-405F-AEAE-E7565439197A.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 104
  • A493FCA1-E6D6-4F70-812F-89C037D09429.jpeg
    A493FCA1-E6D6-4F70-812F-89C037D09429.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 112
Hi and welcome to the forum! :)
I’ll put my feedback in red.

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- veiled chameleon
- female
- in my care 3 months
- age 7 months I was going to tell you about laying eggs and needing a lay bin, but I read down and you obviously already know. :)

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
- grasshoppers about 5-6 every other day Those are ok. No idea what other types of feeders you’re able to get, but I’ll attach an infographic for you.
-I feed my feeders weeds from my yard or oats or cucumber Not good at all. It isn’t just about keeping the feeders alive as much as it’s about passing nutrition on to your chameleon. I give my feeders fresh organic greens (Mustard, dandelion, chard, escarole), different types of squash, sweet potato, and whatever other fresh vegetables or fruits I have. Plus I use a commercial bug food that I add bee pollen and spirulina to. Attaching another infographic.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting
-calsium and d3 2 times a week There are many ways to supplement, but I’ll tell you the basic one. Phosphorus free calcium without D3 with every feeding. One feeding a week use calcium with D3. The next week give one feeding with a multivitamin. Repeat.
-with nekton No idea what this is. Is it a supplement?

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
- yes I see her drinking, sometimes consider yourself lucky! My chameleons are secret drinkers.
-I mist about 2 minutes 3-5 times a day 3 times a day is enough, especially since you have the dripper going all day.

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
-she is normally dark green, but right know she is turquoise I’m hoping that you mean your cham is green and not her poop. ;)
-her poop is fine with the little yellow/white thing Should be a formed little pellet. The white is her urine, called urate. White is good and means she is well hydrated. Occasionally there might be a little yellow or orange on the end...this is ok.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
- she laid eggs 1 month ago this really takes a lot out of them and can shorten their lives. You can try to reduce the number of eggs she’ll lay and even the frequency that she’ll lay thru diet and temperature. I give my girls about 3 medium sized feeders every other day and keep their basking temperatures in the low 80’s. This may help explain it better. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
-screen cage 61 cm 61 cm 122cm perfect

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
-HID with a uv-b light I had to look that up. Not sure if it’s good for chams. I’m going to guess she got her thermal burn from the basking light. Do you keep her bulb inside her enclosure? I know that most Europeans do, but it is a high risk for burns. Most of us use the old fashioned incandescent bulbs for basking. What type of UVB? The recommended is a linear T5HO fixture with either a Repti Sun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. If you are using a coil bulb, those don’t provide adequate uvb levels.

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
-a spot with 30° and the bottom 22° and the rest is 25° If you want to try to reduce her egg laying you could lower her basking by a degree or two

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
- I don’t know the humidity humidity is quite important to know. You should be able to find a hygrometer relatively inexpensively. Ideal humidity during the day should be between 30-50%. At night it can get much higher. Too high during the day combined with heat can cause respiratory infection.

- I use live plants all chameleon safe ?

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
- about 50 cm from the roof perfect

-location is in Denmark

- if she looks normal She looks well hydrated and healthy to me. Is it her rear leg/ankle that you’re concerned about? There’s something about the curve of it that pulls my attention to that, but I’m not really able to say what. What exactly are your concerns?

3E626466-7FD4-47CE-906F-F1A41CED4205.jpeg
220E5C0F-7DC3-4E5D-95DB-03501AA0AE8A.jpeg

Please post a couple more photos so we can see her back legs.
How many eggs did she lay in the last clutch?

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)
I’ll put my feedback in red.

- veiled chameleon
- female
- in my care 3 months
- age 7 months I was going to tell you about laying eggs and needing a lay bin, but I read down and you obviously already know. :)

- grasshoppers about 5-6 every other day Those are ok. No idea what other types of feeders you’re able to get, but I’ll attach an infographic for you.
-I feed my feeders weeds from my yard or oats or cucumber Not good at all. It isn’t just about keeping the feeders alive as much as it’s about passing nutrition on to your chameleon. I give my feeders fresh organic greens (Mustard, dandelion, chard, escarole), different types of squash, sweet potato, and whatever other fresh vegetables or fruits I have. Plus I use a commercial bug food that I add bee pollen and spirulina to. Attaching another infographic.

-calsium and d3 2 times a week There are many ways to supplement, but I’ll tell you the basic one. Phosphorus free calcium without D3 with every feeding. One feeding a week use calcium with D3. The next week give one feeding with a multivitamin. Repeat.
-with nekton No idea what this is. Is it a supplement?

- yes I see her drinking, sometimes consider yourself lucky! My chameleons are secret drinkers.
-I mist about 2 minutes 3-5 times a day 3 times a day is enough, especially since you have the dripper going all day.

-she is normally dark green, but right know she is turquoise I’m hoping that you mean your cham is green and not her poop. ;)
-her poop is fine with the little yellow/white thing Should be a formed little pellet. The white is her urine, called urate. White is good and means she is well hydrated. Occasionally there might be a little yellow or orange on the end...this is ok.

- she laid eggs 1 month ago this really takes a lot out of them and can shorten their lives. You can try to reduce the number of eggs she’ll lay and even the frequency that she’ll lay thru diet and temperature. I give my girls about 3 medium sized feeders every other day and keep their basking temperatures in the low 80’s. This may help explain it better. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Cage Info:
-screen cage 61 cm 61 cm 122cm perfect

-HID with a uv-b light I had to look that up. Not sure if it’s good for chams. I’m going to guess she got her thermal burn from the basking light. Do you keep her bulb inside her enclosure? I know that most Europeans do, but it is a high risk for burns. Most of us use the old fashioned incandescent bulbs for basking. What type of UVB? The recommended is a linear T5HO fixture with either a Repti Sun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. If you are using a coil bulb, those don’t provide adequate uvb levels.

-a spot with 30° and the bottom 22° and the rest is 25° If you want to try to reduce her egg laying you could lower her basking by a degree or two

- I don’t know the humidity humidity is quite important to know. You should be able to find a hygrometer relatively inexpensively. Ideal humidity during the day should be between 30-50%. At night it can get much higher. Too high during the day combined with heat can cause respiratory infection.

- I use live plants all chameleon safe ?

- about 50 cm from the roof perfect

-location is in Denmark

- if she looks normal She looks well hydrated and healthy to me. Is it her rear leg/ankle that you’re concerned about? There’s something about the curve of it that pulls my attention to that, but I’m not really able to say what. What exactly are your concerns?

View attachment 269136View attachment 269137
I guess I found the back legs a little wired looking. And I wanted to make sure she hadn’t developed a bone disease. I have Medicine for her thermal burn.

Attachments

• A569A9B8-6361-467D-9C4B-B46E4E59F743.jpeg
    A569A9B8-6361-467D-9C4B-B46E4E59F743.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 106
  • 9D57798C-D616-4790-B892-E005372E1F14.jpeg
    9D57798C-D616-4790-B892-E005372E1F14.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 84
I guess I found the back legs a little wired looking. And I wanted to make sure she hadn’t developed a bone disease. I have Medicine for her thermal burn.
The only way to tell for certain if she has mbd would be through a vet taking an x ray. Her legs do look odd enough that it would be a good idea.

The egg number is good....but can still be reduced further and safely when done right. I always start the diet a couple of days after thy lay a clutch of eggs....and lower the basking temperature a couple of degrees to slow the appetite a bit.

The only way to tell for certain if she has mbd would be through a vet taking an x ray. Her legs do look odd enough that it would be a good idea.
Well my problem is that In Denmark there isn’t a lot of people who specialize in tropical animals so that’s why I come here to get advice.

I would not use the HID UVB this is a metal halide bulb... Without a solarmeter you will not know accurate UVB levels with this bulb. They are known to produce much higher levels of UVB causing over exposure along with extreme heat... Thermal burns etc...

I would switch to a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 zoomed bulb or a 6% arcadia bulb. Then basking for these would be 9 inches below with the fixture sitting on the outside of the cage. Then get a standard incandescent bulb for heat. like 40-60 watt to get a basking temp of no more then 80 degrees for her.

I do not see the typical MBD signs in her limbs... Granted some of the photos you have to look a little more carefully but I believe that to be the angles she is standing at. Limbs look straight and well formed to me.

Back
Top Bottom