Do tongues

Deejay

Hi, I've been making slow motion videos of Dandelion, my Jackson Chameleon, eating. I noticed his tongue grabs the crickets body like an elephant's trunk grabbing leaves. However, I hear people describe chameleons capturing bugs because their tongues are sticky. Probably a combination of both? So my two questions are: Do chameleon tongues grab more than they stick to bugs or do they even grab? Are chameleon tongues different across species?

Hi, I've been making slow motion videos of Dandelion, my Jackson Chameleon, eating. I noticed his tongue grabs the crickets body like an elephant's trunk grabbing leaves. However, I hear people describe chameleons capturing bugs because their tongues are sticky. Probably a combination of both? So my two questions are: Do chameleon tongues grab more than they stick to bugs or do they even grab? Are chameleon tongues different across species?

Its a combination of things. The force of the shot's impact pushes the prey into the soft and fleshy tip allowing it to partially envelop more of the bug's surface. The other part of the effect is due to the moist tacky coating. One reason why a dehydrated cham can't catch prey as successfully. If there's less saliva coating the tongue, the tip ends up drier. Prey doesn't adhere for those critical seconds it takes the cham to retract its tongue and grab the prey in its jaws.

Post video

Wow, that's a lot of tongues. Kinyonga, fantastic videos! Great slow motion. Right out of his mouth! The Hyoid bone info was awesome ans so much more. Incredible. :)

Back
Top Bottom