Do the 50 dollar RO filters work

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
Do they work? im looking at buying one because the 300-500 dollar ones are out of my price range lol, and a couple people have said they work. I just want to know, do they work longterm or will you have issues of buildup after 1 year or so. Anyone who has these id appreciate feedback!

I have an RO buddie that was reasonably priced on amazon. I do make sure I change the filters when it’s time. Making RO is time consuming but has saved me money in the long run.

I just spent the better part of the day making chameleon water...like 20 gallons or so...with my Aquatic Life RO buddy. It is time consuming, especially if you make as many gallons at one time as I do. With 4 enclosures all hooked up to a mist king, I go thru close to a gallon per day.

I dont need a ton, just a little because i only have one chameleon. I'd probably need a gallon every 4 days at most. Honestly for me the thing im concerned about isnt money but i just really dont want to waste that plastic. Even when i recycle, i feel terrible. besides, only like 10 percent of recycling actually gets recycled.

I dont need a ton, just a little because i only have one chameleon. I'd probably need a gallon every 4 days at most. Honestly for me the thing im concerned about isnt money but i just really dont want to waste that plastic. Even when i recycle, i feel terrible. besides, only like 10 percent of recycling actually gets recycled.
I kept all of the plastic jugs from when I bought distilled water and reuse those.

I dont think i can though. Like eventually there would be too many and we cant refill them with RO here i dont think. I feel terrible when i recycle because in the long run, eventually its going to end up in the oceans.

can you just go to the culligan tap? Around here its a dollar to fill a 5 gallon carboy full of "ultra pure" which is basically distilled. Talking to the guy, everything is ultra pure red top jugs, and then they add minerals for flavor, and that stuff goes in the blue top jugs.

IME, it comes down to knowing a little bit about your plastics, and what to do with them.

The shiny clear plastic jugs that RO water (usually) comes in—and the clear bottles that bottled water (usually) comes in—are polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE).

The whitish plastic gallon jugs that distilled water, milk, and other household liquids (usually) comes in are High Density PolyEthylene (HDPE)—one of the easiest plastics to recycle or reuse. In fact, a lot of people save HDPE and use it for all kinds of hobby & other projects, as it can be melted & reworked in a kitchen oven.

recycling hdpe projects

Of course it also depends on the recycling powers that be (or don't be) where you live—some just dump it in the ocean or bury it in a landfill no matter what it is ... 😖🤬

I'll stop here at "Complete Nerd" rather than venturing into full-blown "Uber Nerd" territory and extol upon the virtues of PolyLactic Acid (PLA). :rolleyes:

My point (here) is that HDPE is (usually) the lesser of those two evils, so I don't stress out (as much as I used to) over buying distilled water in gallon jugs. We need & use it for a larger variety of purposes than just a MistKing anyway, and one of these days I may get around to making that Damascus Mallet I don't really need... :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom