DIY ideas (baby cages)

saradoggy10

Established Member
Okay so I'm looking into baby chameleon cages (1-3 months) after I would transfer them from their joint bin-habitat (0-1 months).
It seems the options I'm seeing here are either really super expensive, or literal bins. I want to separate them each , but I also don't want to spend $2,000 on the enclosures alone. I'm trying to think of a less expensive way to build a long cage separated into different sections. (Maybe 2'H 2'W 3-4'L)
I am looking for crazy/creative ideas. I saw someone putting together window frames for example. I guess that I would only need to build the frame, as the mesh isn't the most difficult. I was thinking a couple ideas for doors too. Maybe magnet doors? I don't have super good access to building equipment so it would be difficult to cut wood for a frame as well.
Any ideas?

Okay so I'm looking into baby chameleon cages (1-3 months) after I would transfer them from their joint bin-habitat (0-1 months).
What are your intentions after 3 months, selling them off? :unsure:
What if they don't all sell and outgrow these interim enclosures?
Not trying to be pessimistic—just realistic: Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. (y)

I've never been partial to the idea of upgrading enclosure sizes; I'm with those who advocate putting a baby/juvenile straight into its permanent (adult-size) enclosure. Upsizing, IMO, is a waste of resources. ;)

It seems the options I'm seeing here are either really super expensive, or literal bins. I want to separate them each , but I also don't want to spend $2,000 on the enclosures alone. I'm trying to think of a less expensive way to build a long cage separated into different sections. (Maybe 2'H 2'W 3-4'L)
Building (DIY) "row house-like" enclosures sounds like a good idea to me (acknowledging I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet), though I think I'd still opt for full-size 2x2x4H "condos". I think—with planning—this could be a very economical solution.

A long enclosure sectionable into various size compartments also sounds good. One of my beardie enclosure options was designed that way. 8' long, with a moveable partition so the side-by-side compartments could be 3/5, 4/4, or 5/3, depending on species & space needs.

I am looking for crazy/creative ideas. I saw someone putting together window frames for example. I guess that I would only need to build the frame, as the mesh isn't the most difficult. I was thinking a couple ideas for doors too. Maybe magnet doors? I don't have super good access to building equipment so it would be difficult to cut wood for a frame as well.
Any ideas?
LOL! :LOL: I've run into this situation a few times now. What I've done in the past is design enclosures around the material sizes I have access to, utilizing the smallest number of cuts. This is why I have a 5' long beardie enclosure instead of 4'. I also had to design it around the 24x12 floor tiles for the substrate because I didn't have access to a tile saw.

An idea for cham enclosures I've spoken of before is using readily available 5/16" x 3/4" window screen framing, slid into enclosure framing made from Quick Frame. The channel in Quick Frame is a hair over 5/16" wide, so the screen framing slides in near-perfectly. Zen Habitats uses a similar system. There are suppliers who will cut the material to size for you (for reasonable fees), so very little—if any—further cutting would be required.

If you prefer wood, I'd start with... (Do they still teach "Industrial Arts" a.k.a. "Shop" in middle & high schools?) your local shop teacher or woodworking club. You may find someone with skills & equipment (and a big heart) who'd be willing to help you with some of it for the challenge and because it's a different and interesting project than what they're used to. ?‍♂️

IME, the real key to whatever you decide on is the design & engineering. It's not rocket surgery, but good design & engineering is what makes projects highly successful vs. a PITA. ;)

Back
Top Bottom