different food

Miss becky

i have a 10 month old male cham and want to give him some different things to eat i feed him crickits, meal worms, locusts and waxmoths i use to give him dandilion leaves from my garden but they where sprayed so i havent been able to give him them, he also has carrot now and again.
what fruit can i feed him and what other insects are suitable for him?

Strawbwrries and grapes are fruits that some chams like. Silkworms are good but mealworms are not. Use Superworms instead of mealworms. Jann

my cham loves the blue horned worms and silk worms. ive never tried butter/wax worms but heard they are good too. ive never feed my cham fruit directly, but in turn gutload the crickets with lots of stuff like mangos, oranges, sweet potatoes, lettuce (not iceburg), carrots, collared greens and spinach. can you feed chams fruit directly? that'd be pretty cool. i think they like hibiscus flowers,,, but i am by far no expert so i would look that up hahaha. they like super/golaith worms too! you can feed them roaches, but they make me squirm ugh. and small babies eat wingless fruitflies.

my cham loves the blue horned worms and silk worms. ive never tried butter/wax worms but heard they are good too. ive never feed my cham fruit directly, but in turn gutload the crickets with lots of stuff like mangos, oranges, sweet potatoes, lettuce (not iceburg), carrots, collared greens and spinach. can you feed chams fruit directly? that'd be pretty cool. i think they like hibiscus flowers,,, but i am by far no expert so i would look that up hahaha. they like super/golaith worms too! you can feed them roaches, but they make me squirm ugh. and small babies eat wingless fruitflies.

Butter worm and Wax worm is not the same thing.
Butter worm is all right.
Wax worm is treat only as it contains lots of fat.

Super worms and Goliath worms are also different :)
Goliath worms is actually horn worms.
as far as spinach goes, you might want to reduce using it in your gutload regiment as it contains calcium oxallate that binds calcium absorption in your chameleon's body.

Yes, chameleons (especially veiled) chomps on hibiscus flower.
Yes, veiled sometimes eat fruits as well (but so far, none of my veiled does that).

as far as enrichment feeder, you can feed your chameleons a lot of different type of insects (others has listed excellent feeders):
So, here is my suggestion in addition to what they already said:
flies, BB flies, Indian walking stick insects, roaches, silkworm moth, and hornworm moth (if your cham can handle it. It's quite large), small Praying mantis (i hope Royden don't see this :D), and many many more.

Last edited:
i know they are different thing, i just didnt feel like typing wax and butter worms so i wrote wax/butter worms instead; sorry for the confusion haha. and thanks for the tip about spinach, i only used a couple times, but i wont ever again! :)

thank you for the opinions does anyone know a good live food website based in england that i can use insted of getting the same old insects from the range i get at my pet shop

my mellers go crazy for the horn worm moth i mean they want to come right thru the screen when they see them i order some more horn worms but this time im growing them all the way till they are moths

I reccomend phoenix worms as well you arguably don't have to supplement or gutload them they are very high in calcium naturally and sometimes called calci-worms. A natural defense to MBD. You can order them online as well, coastsilkworms.com

thank you for the opinions does anyone know a good live food website based in england that i can use insted of getting the same old insects from the range i get at my pet shop
hi we use livefoods direct to get our food from for our cham in uk. We have never had a problem with them and all of the food arrives in excellent condition.We would highly recommend them.

hi we use livefoods direct to get our food from for our cham in uk. We have never had a problem with them and all of the food arrives in excellent condition.We would highly recommend them.

i use livefoods.co.uk, i've used them a few times and it always comes next day if you order before 3pm mon-thurs or by 11am on friday. bit pricey on delivery though but a good selection

Back
Top Bottom