Different behavior ?

Lexlynn

Established Member
My Cham usually basks most of her day she’ll eat, roam around a little, drink and that’s about it but most of her time is spent on her top branch. Recently she has been roaming more, and staying lower to the bottom. I have a lay bin. Is it possible that’s what she’s looking for? Or is that possibly the reasoning for her change in behavior? She poops normally and her urate looks healthy - definitely not dehydrated. Any input would be greatly appreciated !

My Cham usually basks most of her day she’ll eat, roam around a little, drink and that’s about it but most of her time is spent on her top branch. Recently she has been roaming more, and staying lower to the bottom. I have a lay bin. Is it possible that’s what she’s looking for? Or is that possibly the reasoning for her change in behavior? She poops normally and her urate looks healthy - definitely not dehydrated. Any input would be greatly appreciated !
Just for additional info she’s almost 5 months next week. A female veiled

Can you post a picture of her? Have you noticed a change in her colors?
How big is the lay bin & what material did you use?
I’ll try and take a more recent one I only have from a few weeks ago her behavior was normal then. The lay bin is 15 inches deep not sure how long and wide but it’s big for sure possibly too big. I used play sand from Home Depot, it’s perfect for tunneling without it collapsing I’ve been checking. I’ve noticed her colors darken more, not brown. But sometimes a dark green. When she basks she turns darker. She seems to be a bit brighter like brighter yellow in some spots.

15 inches is really really deep... You want more like 7 inches in depth....

laybin graphic.jpg

I’ll try and take a more recent one I only have from a few weeks ago her behavior was normal then. The lay bin is 15 inches deep not sure how long and wide but it’s big for sure possibly too big. I used play sand from Home Depot, it’s perfect for tunneling without it collapsing I’ve been checking. I’ve noticed her colors darken more, not brown. But sometimes a dark green. When she basks she turns darker. She seems to be a bit brighter like brighter yellow in some spots.
If she's been roaming around a lot more than usual and is going to the bottom a lot, it sounds like she could be getting ready to lay! Does her belly look full?

Keep in mind, ladies like to have their privacy when laying. As long as there's ample coverage from her plants that may be sufficient (some people even cover part of the enclosure with a towel if needed). but try not to disturb her too much when she starts digging. If she sees you watching her she may abort mission.

If she's been roaming around a lot more than usual and is going to the bottom a lot, it sounds like she could be getting ready to lay! Does her belly look full?

Keep in mind, ladies like to have their privacy when laying. As long as there's ample coverage from her plants that may be sufficient (some people even cover part of the enclosure with a towel if needed). but try not to disturb her too much when she starts digging. If she sees you watching her she may abort mission.
Okay I’ll definitely add a towel for her I mean I’d like my privacy too if it were me lol 🤣 but thank you for your input I’ll make all necessary changes. Her belly does seem rounder.

Okay I’ll change it to something less deep. I’ll do that right now and put a plant or two in front and around it. Do you think this is the reason for her change in behavior ?
I dunno lol I don't know what your set up looks like hun. They become more active anyways as they mature. But yes it could be due to her approaching egg laying.

Sounds like she’s receptive to me....looking for a man. A too big lay bin is fine, but as has already been said, don’t fill it so deep.
Thank you I’ve set it up. My biggest issue was it had a lot of water build up we’d use the shot vac ( not sure if that’s how u spell it) to take the excess out I’m probably going to drill holes I guess not sure what else to do to prevent that

Thank you I’ve set it up. My biggest issue was it had a lot of water build up we’d use the shot vac ( not sure if that’s how u spell it) to take the excess out I’m probably going to drill holes I guess not sure what else to do to prevent that
Yes, drilling some small drainage holes on the bottom will help drain excess water out. If you have a mister or dripper, make sure it isn’t directed towards the bin.

Back
Top Bottom