Dept Store, fluorescent bulbs

Duke

I know some of you have UV meters, and wonder if anyone has measured the UV output from the regular, curly, plugs into a regular socket, dept store fluorescent bulbs?

Anyone??

Duke

I would also assume that they do not, but would like to know if someone with a meter has measured it.

i never used regular flourescent lights but when i first got into the hobby someone told me they only used regular cool white flourescents for their chams ,all their chams even the hatchlings i mean he was breeding with them he said.i beleived he was lying or he is using a mix of artificial and natural sunlight.

I know some of you have UV meters, and wonder if anyone has measured the UV output from the regular, curly, plugs into a regular socket, dept store fluorescent bulbs?...
Howdy,
I have a Solarmeter 6.2 and I've used it to check the output of various types of "non-UVB" lamps. A few of them actually put out a little bit of UVB. I think I recall some 48" commercial tubes measuring 4-5uW/cm2 at a few inches. Compare that to your typical Reptisun 5.0 that probably measures 50uW/cm2 at a couple of inches. The other issue is that UVB meters will respond to spectral energy that isn't necessarily in the "best" portion of the UVB spectrum. I'd bet that these non-reptile fluorescent lamps could easily be producing measurable UVB but that it isn't where we want it to be, not to mention that it isn't much energy to begin with :).

Back
Top Bottom