Dang Petsmart - and I'm new round here :D

mrvoodoo

I had been looking into bearded dragons for a while and nearly convinced myself to purchase one. So I was looking today at Petsmart and browsed over to the lizards section and I saw the most beautiful Jackson Chameleon. I've never owned a chameleon before so I grabbed a brochure they had readily available, asked a few questions, seemed fairly similar to what I had researched on the Beardeds with the one exception (from what I could tell at the time) being that they are a little more prone to stress.

So I was a horrible pet purchaser today and didn't read up and do the research I feel is necessary prior to purchasing a pet you have never had experience with previously. I came home today with the beautiful Jackson, grabbed what I thought I needed... and got quite frustrated after setting everything up and hopping online to complete my research.

I purchased one of the glass terrarium kits for about $199, I got about 150 crickets with plenty of goodies to dust them and gut fill them with good amounts of calcium and vitamins. I've got one bulb (uvb... can't tell you the brand right now because I'm frustrated with the terrarium)... and now I'm regretting - really regretting the terrarium. I'm reading that they get stressed out with the glass because they see their reflection and want to fight it - and that they need more air circulation. I don't recall seeing any good mesh terrariums at petsmart (here) and I'm really wanting to take care of my boy. Does anyone know if petsmart will take a return on a terrarium after it's been setup and used for a couple days? If they do and I plan to verify over phone - then I'm planning to get the 260 gallon package from LLLreptile - want to make sure he has more than plenty vertical space and room to play. I think the 260 gallon with the mesh would be perfect for him from everything I have read this evening (and it's slightly less expensive than the glass one from petsmart)... what to do though if they don't take a return on the glass one??

*those that don't know what the LLLreptile package comes with:
260 Gallon Reptarium (29x29x72"), 24" UV Hood, 18" Fluorescent UVB Bulb, Lamp Fixture , Heat Bulb, 2 Packages of 72" Tropical Vines (12 total feet!), 16 Quarts Tropical Moss, Thermometer. Shipping included.

I'm intending to purchase a hibiscus and a good flowery non-toxic plant and I may get one of the large drip systems they have (a bucket with a drip nozzle basically) - does anyone have anymore suggestions or want to smack me over the head for my rash purchase?

Thanks!

OK, first off, as long as you ahve the box and original receipt they should take it back. tell them you didn't use it after cleaning it really well.

second, avoid the bibiscus, get a ficus, shefflieria *SP*....they will survive better. make sure to wash the plant well, all the leaves and switch out the soil.

jacksons are a great chameleon species, liking cooler temps. and are sensitive to higher temps.

Thanks for the heads up on the hibiscus/ficus!

guess I need to find a block of the soil stuff that came with it :p

No "Soil Stuff"-bare cage bottoms are best! I agree-take back the Exoterra-order a nice screen cage-the $57 18X18X36 is perfect for you Jacksons-then get a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0-18" to go with it, and the fixture to hold the bulb!

No he opened the block of substrate that came with the tank so now he has to go get another one. People are always selling screened cages here in the classified section.

I'm not so sure I'll be taking the cage back - I've browsed and browsed for a good cage and almost bought a reptarium with the zippers - decided against it. I'll be looking to build one and I'll likely get something for my kids to keep in the exotarrium... in the meantime Dex will be staying in there.

I love multimedia in life - so I'll probably video my buildup of the cage and some DIY tutorial type stuff - I'm sure the majority of people already have a clue, but for new folks like me - it might be nice.

Thanks for the help!

Still trying to figure out his diet, he loves waxworms and it doesn't appear he likes crickets very well. He's already taken to being handfed. I'm going to try to age him sometime soon. From snout to tip of the tail he's probably 6-8". His horns are about 1/2" maybe a little bit longer. He's a bright green -- I'll try to get some good pics before too awful long... How do I determine which species of Jackson he is? Petsmart didn't fill me in on that when I got him

Welcome! Everyone loves DIY step by step processes. About the wasworms. They are a good treat but should be limited because they are very high in fat. Good staple feeders are crickets, roaches, and silkies would be the main 3 along with a good gutload routine. Use the search bar to find out a lot of info on things like your species of cham, gutloading, and supplements. There are some people on the forums that deal with mostly montane species like the jacksons. If you dont find the answers just ask! They do like cooler temps, higher humidity, and are more prone to over supplementation. My first cham was a jacksons and I loved him. I would like to get another but am right now building my panther collection. Good luck and have fun!

thanks - I think I will be getting some silkies. My wife refuses to allow me to purchase roaches - go figure LOL. I'm pretty positive he's a Xanth and I'm all over gutloading. I didn't give him any worms tonight :) I've been scouring this site for information all day - literally... went to work and only looked up occassionally to watch football. I'll carry anymore questions I have when the time comes for them to the appropriate forums - mainly wanted to introduce myself over here and shake my fist at petsmart (then tongue lash myself for buying from them).

:)

look forward to getting to know you all

Hey there,

Figured I'd go ahead and respond to the pm here. First, I'm kinda surprised to hear Petsmart had Jackson's at all. The three subspecies can be rather difficult to acquire now. The nominate subspecies, Ch. (T.) jacksonii jacksonii is only allowed out of Kenya as true Farm-Raised specimens. I haven't been aware of any shipments of that subspecies coming in since Spring 2007. The dwarf subspecies, Ch. (T.) j. merumontanus has just become very rare in the market as Tanzania only allows Farm-Raised specimens out as well. That leaves the large morph, Ch. (T.) j. xantholophus. This subspecies was released in Hawai'i in the 1970's and established a large, stable population that supplies the pet trade on the mainland. Most likely you have this subspecies. Here's a great resource for information concerning this type: http://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/chjacksonixanth.html

Although not ideal as a staple, at least he's eating the waxworms. He may have a preference for soft bodied worms that can be broken. In the mean time, silk worms or horn worms are super nutritious for him. As are small, soft shelled garden snails collected from pesticide free areas. Jackson's love 'em! Until you get the cage set up, you could free range him in a room protected from other pets on a decent sized tree in front of a well-lit window. Maybe add some more in room lighting. I've seen many people with set-ups like this with animals that survived long-term with no problems. Expect that Petsmart was not taking the care required to make sure he was well hydrated. Keep that in mind as you acclimate him now. Hopefully he wasn't there very long and will be a great, healthy critter for you.

As to cages, I've found Reptariums to be pretty handy, especially for moving chams in and outside. In my opinion, you get what you pay for and I don't expect them to last forever. I'm still using my first cages from 17 years ago, the Reptariums lasted about 3 years.

Free range would be a good idea if I didn't have two young boys that would surely let the cats into the room with him :eek: Thanks for the info - I'm going to see if one of the local petshops has silk worm or horn worms - I know they all have crickets (I've got a ton of them in a habitat too now :p)

Back
Top Bottom