Cyrus - eye? MBD????

You said..."The blotchies are doing well and in a semi-brumation. I thought Ana had eggs several weeks ago and even posted it on KS Chuckwalla forum but then she never did anything about it and would sometimes stay in the sand for up to two days. At first I would poke around to make sure she was alive! Now both she and Stan will sometimes take a one or two day "buried in the sand" snooze and are less active but both seem healthy. I cut back on temps, lights & food as I really don't want to deal with anymore eggs for a while!"...I recently read about some type of lizard burying itself in the sand to lay its eggs....I can't find the post now. I don't think it was a blotchie, but it was something similar. Why is it that you can't find something when you want to?! Maybe you should check the sand?

You said..."Reptayls gutload is quite good (I have their recipe somewhere). You know Morgana from KS forums, she and Yosemite(?) Calvert are Reptayls. She, like you and Carlton (and others) has always been a big help to me over the years esp. with Luna. When I make my own gutload I use a varied version of adcham's and Reptayls"...yes, I do remember Morgana and her chameleons.

You asked..."what do you use for your dry gutload?"...I don't normally use a dry gutload. I have tried to research what crickets eat in the wild...and a lot of them eat plants and grasses and vegetables...so I try to chose good healthy greens and vegetables and a tiny bit of fruit once in a while.

I have had a colony of crickets in one of my lizard cages for years now...the lizards have been very healthy and the crickets have reproduced well. I haven't had to add a cricket for years. When I want them to reproduce (when the number of crickets gets low)...I make the substrate moist and to stop hatching from occurring keep it dry. The lizards are omnivores and I dust their veggies, greens and fruit with supplements.

(I also have had a colony of superworms living in one of my turtle cages for years.)

Here is some information about what they eat...
http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/crickets.htm
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH039

Another site....
http://www.seavs.com/case_studies/lizards/chameleons.asp
"Some of the most healthiest diets result from feeding insects a diet of leafy green vegetables and crated carrots/sweet potatoes (high in vitamin A precursors), alfalfa, and crushed dried beans or bean sprouts (sources of vegetable protein)".

YI recently read about some type of lizard burying itself in the sand to lay its eggs....I can't find the post now. I don't think it was a blotchie, but it was something similar. Why is it that you can't find something when you want to?! Maybe you should check the sand?

Actually, blotchies do lay in the sand but it needs to be moist. I had taken her out and put her in her setup 2x for 48 hours each time and she was just hanging out so I put her back in and she has shown no signs since. She may have just been fattening up for the winter. I did check the sand in their tank, which isn't very deep, and there is nothing i can find. She'd have been kicking up the dust if she were laying in the tank. They are due for a whole tank cleaning soon but if I find any now I am sure they'll be dehydrated.

They are so cute:D

Back
Top Bottom