Critter Nation Cage Conversion?

CalamityCrow

Avid Member
Hello all! I'm brand new here and I'm getting my first ever (very cute ~3mo old ambilobe) panther chameleon next week (fingers crossed for tons of reds!). While I have a reptibreeze currently set up for him, it's the L (18" x 18" x 36") and not the XL. I'm working on figuring long-term cage stuff for him (my research was not as complete as it should be when I got my hands on everything), but since he'll be small for at least a couple months, I figure I oughta do my due diligence to get him a wonderful permanent home.

That being said, I'm entirely up for buying the 2'x2'x4' XL reptibreeze cage (or similar) if needed. However, I used to keep rats and I have a fairly new/in great shape critter nation two-level cage that I think I could probably convert. Has anyone here done that? I only found two lightly commented-on posts about it and haven't seen follow-ups on it since the 2014 post on the subject. The picture below is of one fully set up. I'd just not put the middle "floor" or ramps or pans in there and would end up with a big empty rectangle of space from top to bottom.

My plan would be to line it with screen mesh to avoid bug escapes, though I plan on cup feeding dubias as his staple food with other bugs like black soldier fly larvae and an occasional hornworm (once he's bigger) or superworm to augment and add variety.

Drainage would be easy. I have a T5 6% light, a heat bulb (though I may need to get a bigger one than the one I have, I'll have to check temps once I get it set up) and a mistking mister system. It's a big cage, L 36”x W 25”x H 63” so sizing would be bigger than the minimum recommended option. I don't *think* that'd be too big for an adult male Panther. It's also got all those bars so mounting all sorts of sticks, vines, and plant pots would be super easy, and it's a wide bottom for some bigger plants.

Thoughts? It's nice because I already have it and a bunch of replacement screen mesh on hand already so it'd be easy on the wallet and a bigger space than minimum but I don't want to give my little guy sub-optimal living conditions.

1641418085958.png

I don't see a problem with converting this into a chameleon cage. I say go for it! If, like you said, remove all the inside stuff to get a giant rectangular prism, then that should work! And there really isn't such a thing as a cage being too big. Just make sure you have enough plants to provide some good hiding spots.

The plus with using something such as this rodent cage is that you won't need to purchase dragon ledges to help hang up plants as the cage is already sturdy enough to mount.

The only problem I foresee, which can easily be modified, is adding a commercial mist nozzle to the cage. You would probably need to cut out a small piece of wood to mount on a misting nozzle. Or perhaps you can simply use zip ties.

As long as you have completely sterilized the enclosure, then there is nothing to worry about.

I don't see a problem with converting this into a chameleon cage. I say go for it! If, like you said, remove all the inside stuff to get a giant rectangular prism, then that should work! And there really isn't such a thing as a cage being too big. Just make sure you have enough plants to provide some good hiding spots.

The plus with using something such as this rodent cage is that you won't need to purchase dragon ledges to help hang up plants as the cage is already sturdy enough to mount.

The only problem I foresee, which can easily be modified, is adding a commercial mist nozzle to the cage. You would probably need to cut out a small piece of wood to mount on a misting nozzle. Or perhaps you can simply use zip ties.

As long as you have completely sterilized the enclosure, then there is nothing to worry about.
Awesome! I like that answer, haha! I have a mistking system (which I'll be setting up this weekend in my current ready to go cage) so I'll take a look at how those nozzles work and see what it'd take to get it hooked up to the critter nation cage. Thankfully I have a it of time to plan it out. If this really is the consensus then I'm gonna be VERY excited because it's a nice cage. I'll DEFINITELY do an extra cleaning on it before setting it up for a lizard inhabitant instead of a mammal one.

I actually considered this before getting my cham! I kept rats for the longest before getting another chameleon and I had this same cage sitting in my garage. Drainage would definitely be easy with a set up like this, just leave the litter pans and middle floors out. Bars are powder coated so they shouldn’t rust terribly. i’d just cover the left, right and back sides with either coroplast, pvc board or window shrink film to keep humidity in.

I actually considered this before getting my cham! I kept rats for the longest before getting another chameleon and I had this same cage sitting in my garage. Drainage would definitely be easy with a set up like this, just leave the litter pans and middle floors out. Bars are powder coated so they shouldn’t rust terribly. i’d just cover the left, right and back sides with either coroplast, pvc board or window shrink film to keep humidity in.
Ohhh yeah, I was looking into "Hybrid" Cages since I'm in the midwest and it's not exactly SUPER humid here all year round. That's a fantastic idea. It'd be fun to paint some backgrounds too if I was going that route. Hmmmm.... Things to ponder.

They rust had one out side few months and rusted. Bars still coated but where bars meet anywhere they rust and caused bubbles in powered coat

They rust had one out side few months and rusted. Bars still coated but where bars meet anywhere they rust and caused bubbles in powered coat
That IS good to know. I wonder if I could seal things somehow to prevent the connection areas from rusting.

Back
Top Bottom