Critique my setup

Josereg

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I have an almost 6 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon . I just got this Pascal 2 weeks ago.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have even trying to convince handling about once a day. No luck yet, the closest he came was when I held out a superworm and he got two hands on, ate the superworm, and left.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have been feeding 3-5 crickets everyday along with a superworm. I am now attempting to cycle in dubias, but no interest yet. I am gutloading with kale, apples, and oranges.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am using repticalcium without D3 6 days a week and rotating every other week, repticalcium with D3 and reptivite multi vitamin.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle for about 45 seconds to 1 minute when enough water dripping. He is drinking perfectly normally.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poop is dark brown with white urate. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Extra Large Repti Breeze
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5HO light fixture 24”. Along with 80 W basking bulb. 12 hours on, 12 hours off.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? My basking temp is 83-88 degrees.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I use the dual thermometer and hygrometer, my hunidity is around 50-60 and raises with misting and with humidifier on. I also lined the back of the cage with clear wrapping paper to keep in moisture.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. I have a majesty palm and spider plant. In the process of growing an umbrella plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?My cage is in the corner of my room, there is a fan in the room.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Sacramento
The first picture was him not to happy with me trying to handle him.
I previously had a little dropper coming through the top, but he would use that to climb to the heat lamp so I took it out.
I plan to secure more sticks horizontally when I get a chance.
Thank you for any recommendations, just want to keep him healthy and growing!

Attachments

• ED41190C-CE70-4775-AE61-EC8EA0FCB188.jpeg
    ED41190C-CE70-4775-AE61-EC8EA0FCB188.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 135
Off to a great start! Good call to add in some more branches. Those palm leaves may not be able to old his weight as he gets bigger.

Cut down superworms to like 2-3 times a week as a treat and put a few roaches in a container and leave in there.
I use them to try to lure him in, he’s willing to eat crickets, but i want to at least get him interested in the dubias and as he’s growing didn’t think it will effect him too bad. I will still try to cut down, but just explaining my reasoning. Thank you.

View attachment 265150View attachment 265151I found these useful gut load charts on this website, perhaps it may help you
Woah, is this an updated list? I have been trying to keep my gutload according to the other list around the forums. I will make sure to improve the gutload. Thank you.
Off to a great start! Good call to add in some more branches. Those palm leaves may not be able to old his weight as he gets bigger.
Yes he’s able to climb up the middle of the leaves pretty well at the moment, my hope was he’d at least be able to use the sturdy part then get around with the branches. Thank you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I have an almost 6 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon . I just got this Pascal 2 weeks ago.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have even trying to convince handling about once a day. No luck yet, the closest he came was when I held out a superworm and he got two hands on, ate the superworm, and left.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have been feeding 3-5 crickets everyday along with a superworm. I am now attempting to cycle in dubias, but no interest yet. I am gutloading with kale, apples, and oranges.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am using repticalcium without D3 6 days a week and rotating every other week, repticalcium with D3 and reptivite multi vitamin.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle for about 45 seconds to 1 minute when enough water dripping. He is drinking perfectly normally.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His poop is dark brown with white urate. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Extra Large Repti Breeze
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5HO light fixture 24”. Along with 80 W basking bulb. 12 hours on, 12 hours off.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? My basking temp is 83-88 degrees.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I use the dual thermometer and hygrometer, my hunidity is around 50-60 and raises with misting and with humidifier on. I also lined the back of the cage with clear wrapping paper to keep in moisture.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. I have a majesty palm and spider plant. In the process of growing an umbrella plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?My cage is in the corner of my room, there is a fan in the room.
I previously had a little dropper coming through the top, but he would use that to climb to the heat lamp so I took it out.
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

At 6 months he should be eating a bit more then 3-5 crickets.

Does your reptivite have D3 or is it without D3 Version?

May want to increase your misting sessions... They need time to clean their eyes. Although he may not do this the way he should with you manually misting.

I always recommend getting a fecal done to ensure there is not a hidden parasite issue.

Humidifier should not be run during the day into the cage. This creates an environment with the heat from the lights where you will give him a respiratory infection. Only use the humidifier at night during the coolest part of the evening. Temps should be below 70 degrees.

I would expand on your gutload adding more leafy greens. Dubia can take time for them to try. You can use a plastic spoon and put the dubia on its back in it to see if he is motivated to try it when it is flailing about.

See forum images below and downloadable at this link https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/images/

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

At 6 months he should be eating a bit more then 3-5 crickets.

Does your reptivite have D3 or is it without D3 Version?

May want to increase your misting sessions... They need time to clean their eyes. Although he may not do this the way he should with you manually misting.

I always recommend getting a fecal done to ensure there is not a hidden parasite issue.

Humidifier should not be run during the day into the cage. This creates an environment with the heat from the lights where you will give him a respiratory infection. Only use the humidifier at night during the coolest part of the evening. Temps should be below 70 degrees.

I would expand on your gutload adding more leafy greens. Dubia can take time for them to try. You can use a plastic spoon and put the dubia on its back in it to see if he is motivated to try it when it is flailing about.

See forum images below and downloadable at this link https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/images/

View attachment 265183View attachment 265184
Thank you for the great advice.

He is using herptivite multi vitamin, I can’t find whether or not it contains D3. (My fault I got it mixed up)

I did not even think about him cleaning his eyes, how does this work? What will I see? I just see him drinking water and thought that the water sessions must be enough.

I will try to get it done asap.

Okay, so should I turn it on while his lights are off then? Or just get rid of it completely?

Okay, I will expand the gutload and run to the grocery store today. I have been meaning to ask, do you think I need to add one of the reptile advertised gutload products? Or if I expand on the leafy greens that it will be a good nutrients?

Thank you again for the help.

Thank you for the great advice.

He is using herptivite multi vitamin, I can’t find whether or not it contains D3. (My fault I got it mixed up) On this I would switch to Reptivite without D3 (since you are already supplementing with D3) This one has preformed vitamin A in it where the heptivite only has beta carotene. They need the preformed Vitamin A for eye and tongue health. You will use it the same way you are currently 2 times a month rotated week over week with the calcium with D3.

I did not even think about him cleaning his eyes, how does this work? What will I see? I just see him drinking water and thought that the water sessions must be enough. They roll their eyes around and they get very puffy looking when they are doing it. :)

I will try to get it done asap. It is just something I recommend. Most parasite issues are easy to treat. But they all stay hidden until the parasite load takes its toll on the chameleon showing outward signs like sluggishness, weakness, or reduced eating.

Okay, so should I turn it on while his lights are off then? Or just get rid of it completely? I would use it at night when all lights are off say from 11pm-4am. It is up to you what time but when your house is its coolest. For me that is from about midnight until 5am so that is when I run mine.

Okay, I will expand the gutload and run to the grocery store today. I have been meaning to ask, do you think I need to add one of the reptile advertised gutload products? Or if I expand on the leafy greens that it will be a good nutrients? With fresh you just want to be rotating what you buy and offer a mixture with more focus on the leafy greens rather then the fruit. Commercial gutloads work as well. It is just your preference for what you want to do. Some prefer fresh because you have control over the diversity that you provide. If doing a quality mixture of fresh then you do not need the commercial.

Thank you again for the help. Your welcome ?

As already mentioned you need many more branches. Try to avoid the exo terra jungle vines. they flake off pieces and if he rubs his eyes on them then he could get a piece stuck in his eye.

He is using herptivite multi vitamin, I can’t find whether or not it contains D3. (My fault I got it mixed up) On this I would switch to Reptivite without D3 (since you are already supplementing with D3) This one has preformed vitamin A in it where the heptivite only has beta carotene. They need the preformed Vitamin A for eye and tongue health. You will use it the same way you are currently 2 times a month rotated week over week with the calcium with D3.

I did not even think about him cleaning his eyes, how does this work? What will I see? I just see him drinking water and thought that the water sessions must be enough. They roll their eyes around and they get very puffy looking when they are doing it. :)

I will try to get it done asap. It is just something I recommend. Most parasite issues are easy to treat. But they all stay hidden until the parasite load takes its toll on the chameleon showing outward signs like sluggishness, weakness, or reduced eating.

Okay, so should I turn it on while his lights are off then? Or just get rid of it completely? I would use it at night when all lights are off say from 11pm-4am. It is up to you what time but when your house is its coolest. For me that is from about midnight until 5am so that is when I run mine.

Okay, I will expand the gutload and run to the grocery store today. I have been meaning to ask, do you think I need to add one of the reptile advertised gutload products? Or if I expand on the leafy greens that it will be a good nutrients? With fresh you just want to be rotating what you buy and offer a mixture with more focus on the leafy greens rather then the fruit. Commercial gutloads work as well. It is just your preference for what you want to do. Some prefer fresh because you have control over the diversity that you provide. If doing a quality mixture of fresh then you do not need the commercial.

Thank you again for the help. Your welcome ?

As already mentioned you need many more branches. Try to avoid the exo terra jungle vines. they flake off pieces and if he rubs his eyes on them then he could get a piece stuck in his eye.
I have attached the supplements I use, hopefully they will work.

Everything else, I will make sure to update and change.

Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 90
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
Cut down feeding

I have attached the supplements I use, hopefully they will work.

Everything else, I will make sure to update and change.

Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it.
Your welcome. Ok so for supplements you could do two things....

Either drop the Calcium With D3 and the herptivite and then replace them with Reptivite WITH D3. This would only be given 2 times a month every other week. Then you keep your calcium WITHOUT D3 at every feeding except the 2 times a month when you give the reptivite.

OR

Keep the Calcium With D3 and drop the herptivite and get Reptivite WITHOUT D3. You would then rotate the calcium with D3 with the Reptivite without D3 each weekend so that each are given 2 times a month in a rotated order. Then you keep your calcium WITHOUT D3 at every feeding except the 4 times a month when you give the reptivite and the calcium with D3.

Basically what you are doing is needing to replace the herptivite because it does not contain preformed A where Reptivite does. The type of Reptivite then depends on if you are supplementing with the calcium with D3 you already have or if you want to streamline and only have 1 mutltivitamin with D3.

Could you explain your reasoning? @Beman Said to feed more, so just want to know why or is there a way to figure out how much food is correct?
Do not cut back feeding... right now with feeding crickets you would be feeding more like 8 each feeding... When they start hitting 9 months you want to start converting them to an every other day feeding over a month or so period. Goal is then to be at every other day and then your dropping back feeders to 3-5 once they are hitting the 1 year mark. Until they are a year old they are still growing.

@Beman
Okay, so when I do mix in the superworms, should I cut it to 5 crickets and one superworm? I have been trying to mix superworms into his diet due to their calories, which I’m guessing would help him grow bigger. Also, I am looking right now to find the reptivite without D3 to switch in, instead of the herptivite.

@Beman
Okay, so when I do mix in the superworms, should I cut it to 5 crickets and one superworm? I have been trying to mix superworms into his diet due to their calories, which I’m guessing would help him grow bigger. Also, I am looking right now to find the reptivite without D3 to switch in, instead of the herptivite.
So Superworms are treats. I would say 1 each feeding. They are less nutritious, they are fatty... As far as the crickets at this age I would be feeding more like 8 minimum each feeding. Once he starts eating dubia reduce back to 5 crickets.

Perfect you can find the reptivite without D3 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...ds=reptivite+without+d3&qid=1588271675&sr=8-2

Back
Top Bottom