Cricket Breeding/Care? Also BSFL?

VerucaSalt

Established Member
CRICKETS:

•After review of stickies, resources & videos on keeping, what are some useful tips/tricks to ensuring healthy, live feeders?

•What medium do you recommend for their egg laying?

I was going to pick up vermiculite, last night but upon review, found there are several that aren't actual vermiculite, but a finely ground mica that mimics same. I've read sand (I'm assuming not the minihuman's sandbox sand, but didn't read specific kind.), dirt was also listed that's pesticide free, etc...

•Removal of back legs?

I read & watched a few mentions that they actually go thru and remove the back legs of the feeder crickets for safety & preventative measures of gout/mouth rot/etc...as they can puncture their mouth. Am I encountering a small hysterical behavior, or is this something I have missed & need to add?

(I'd like to stay as dry, successful & odour free as humanly possible.)

Background: They are banded crickets (joshes frogs), a little under 200.

BSFL:
•I've put a small portion in paper towel with a veggie gutload of alfalfa/carrot in a dry container on top of a heat pad to pupate.

+Allowed a small portion to burrow into the live plant soil (male Jackson cham, not yet interested in eating plant/soil, but I'm staying vigilant.) plants have been washed, soil replaced & covered w/flat river rocks w/just enough wiggle room for burrowing, but not enuf for the Cham to track mud all about. ;P

*Next on my list are grand canyon isopods & green bannana roaches-I'd like to eventually switch these v crickets.*

If you remove the back legs they don't chirp or jump out of the feeder cup or live very long.
While I'm hysterically funny;) but generally not the other kind, I have done this to get older or recovering chams to eat. Chameleons that have temporal glands like Jackson's and Meller's might be affected by injuries to the corners of their mouths.
I don't know about the other reasons

Ahh I see, I can see in recovery, and don't mean anything by my typical foot-in-mouth comment truly, I read it, albeit late last night, and was like.....great, here's another tip I didn't pick up on!! Are you kidding me!! But, there's something to be said for them not jumping from feeder cups/and he eats them quickly....I have honestly only done free feeding so far, but the whole enclosure would be a whole lot easier to keep clean and cricket powder/crass free if I did make the switch. (With my luck, he'd take to that as well as he has the Dubai....-_-)

I was surprised at how much simpler feeding from a supply was vrs the bagged methods, and the dang "cricket keeper" things that just produced escapees constantly when first keeping him!!! I had 2 diff "keepers" and all they did was keep letting them out lol.

I'm actually glad you didn't get offended, honestly, late at night/pre-coffee am is the last time I'm thinking straight and I often realize I haven't been p.c. on the face pages later after I'm awake :eek:

Back
Top Bottom