covering soil

typically river rocks that are bigger than the lizard could eat. You can buy them at pet stores, hobby lobby, etc..

Anyone going the moss route though? I've been considering this and wondering how well it works and where you get your moss from..

I don't cover dirt.
I do have moss incorporated in some enclosures, you can get it at any garden center, Home Depot, etc.

-Brad

you can get a safe organic soil or you can just use large river rock type things that you can buy a walmart or alot of other places or you can cover it with screen

typically river rocks that are bigger than the lizard could eat. You can buy them at pet stores, hobby lobby, etc..

Anyone going the moss route though? I've been considering this and wondering how well it works and where you get your moss from..

I have sphagnum moss in all my plants, at the bottom to prevent runout and on top to keep the topsoil moist and moisture in longer, as well as absorb most of the water that i water with so i dont over water, but at the same time it will evaporate and add to cage humidity

Well let me put it this way better be safe then sorry!5 years ago,i lost a Chamaeleo Calyptratus because of impaction disease,to prevent your chameleon from eating the soil and contracting impaction disease(serious problem)are other types of problems like parasites for exemple platyhelminthes(cestodes and taenias)the eggs of these parasites are usually ingested when the mouth or tongue of the feeding chameleon come into contact with infested soils.First i change my soil 3 to 4 times a year(organic soil) then i put screen on top of the soil and i put river rocks on top of the screen,use river rocks big enough to prevent your chameleon from acidently swalow them.It looks nice,it s easy to clean and keeps your chameleon safe.

Back
Top Bottom