Cost?

Does anyone know the average cost to get supplies to start up, for Veiled Chameleons? Also, the cost for weekly/monthly cost to keep them healthy and vet costs?

Disclaimer: I do not own a chameleon right now. I just want to get the average cost for one. So, I can be prepared to give them whatever they need!

You are looking at about $1,000 minimum to get everything you would need for the enclosure and supplies not necessarily including the price of the cham. If you go with a better cage you will be spending more then that.

Vet bills depend on what is going on and is needed. A fecal to begin with and appointment will run you about $200. Anything major happens and you could be looking at much more then that.

You spend more on food when they are babies until a year old. I was spending about $70 a month on feeders for 1 cham as a baby.

You are looking at about $1,000 minimum to get everything you would need for the enclosure and supplies not necessarily including the price of the cham. If you go with a better cage you will be spending more then that.

Vet bills depend on what is going on and is needed. A fecal to begin with and appointment will run you about $200. Anything major happens and you could be looking at much more then that.

You spend more on food when they are babies until a year old. I was spending about $70 a month on feeders for 1 cham as a baby.
Thank you! This is very very helpful!

2k to setup cage that's high really high. Would love to see what a 2k cage looks like

2k to setup cage that's high really high. Would love to see what a 2k cage looks like
I spent 800 on just the cage. 200 on a herpstat, 200 on a mistking, 250 on lighting, 200 on plants/pots/new soil/rock for the top/clay balls for drainage in the bottom of pots, Then all the extras, I bought a crap ton of the wrong type of fake vines almost 200 worth that I had to replace with real branches, feeder run 50, zip ties, wet vac, fogger, pvc tubes to modify fogger etc etc etc. I spent another $500 a few years later replacing light fixtures and modifying the cage to be a full hybrid.

This is the cage now. 3 yrs later.

Attachments

• 2-28-22.jpg
    2-28-22.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 9-19-21.jpg
    9-19-21.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 40
Does anyone know the average cost to get supplies to start up, for Veiled Chameleons? Also, the cost for weekly/monthly cost to keep them healthy and vet costs?

Disclaimer: I do not own a chameleon right now. I just want to get the average cost for one. So, I can be prepared to give them whatever they need!
Estimates in the archives range from $500 to $1000+ (not including the chameleon) and I would budget the higher end. A large chunk of that will depend on all-screen vs. hybrid enclosure. Unless you live in FL or someplace with similar humid climate, I strongly urge going with a hybrid.

You can find shopping lists of equipment & supplies on https://caskabove.com/

Upkeep & vet costs will depend partly on choices & luck. I called a local herp vet before getting my cham and asked for a estimate (they can vary between hospitals and region). I don't recall the exact figure, but he was very honest & open about it.

I can only give approximations.
Budget enclosure (ReptiBreeze XL or DIY XL) $160
There are several great enclosures of higher quality that are obviously more expensive. Dragon Strand, Zen, Tamura are just a few.
UVB 24” T5 HO with ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% $70
Dome light for basking $15 + $5-7 for bulb
Plant light (optional but recommended) $35-70 depending on wattage
Misting manual $10-35. Automatic (Mist King starter) $150+ (plus optional wedge add $7+)
Dragon Ledges (optional but recommended) $52
Thermometer/hygrometer (digital with probe or ‘smart’ unit like Govee) $15-20
Drainage tray $35+ depending on brand/type
Live plants minimum of about $75+ depending on type/source
Branches can be gathered outside (wash & rinse well) avoid pine & other sappy ones
Supplements will vary per brand, but expect approx $45+
Misc: zip ties, light timer, vines, lay bin & sand for females allow around $50
You will also need a stand of some sort. Prices will vary greatly depending on what you use.
You’ll also need appropriate feeders, containers to keep the feeders, food to feed the feeders, tongs (not for use feeding cham)
Vet fund preferably at least $150 set aside, more is better
I’m too lazy to add any of these numbers up. Or course you may find items for much different prices…I’m only guesstimating from what I’ve found on line or paid for things.

Looks good is that the 2x2x4
It is the dragon strand medium tall. He does not make them anymore though. Standard size but 30 inches wide, 2 feet deep and 4 foot tall. I prefer them to the 2x2x4. You get better gradients on the basking level. But he stopped making them because the price difference between this one and the 4 foot wide was not that different.

Back
Top Bottom