confusing weights

laurie

Retired Moderator
My B. transvaalense are doing well, they are brown a good part of the time but they eat and drink well. My confusion comes from the weight of each cham. The male remains larger that the female. They are approximately 9 months old. The male weights 6 grams the female weights 5 grams.

She looks nice a plump, very healthy, the male looks a bit thin, and longer than the female. Everything I read tells me my chams are backwards. What are the rest of you seeing?

My B. transvaalense are doing well, they are brown a good part of the time but they eat and drink well. My confusion comes from the weight of each cham. The male remains larger that the female. They are approximately 9 months old. The male weights 6 grams the female weights 5 grams.

She looks nice a plump, very healthy, the male looks a bit thin, and longer than the female. Everything I read tells me my chams are backwards. What are the rest of you seeing?

im no help either but could the male maybe have more dense bones? i know with people who drink more milk from a young age they tend to have more heavy bones.
just an idea... :)
goodluck

Females are typically larger than the males, often times twice the size of the males from what Paul says.. Almost the size of a female lateralis...

The majority of my group is still small, the same weights as yours with the exception of one female who is at 12grams

Females are typically larger than the males, often times twice the size of the males from what Paul says.. Almost the size of a female lateralis...

The majority of my group is still small, the same weights as yours with the exception of one female who is at 12grams

Thanks Alex, I feel better that I am not the only one.

I'll post just to set myself a reminder to weigh my group. My batteries just went out in my scale so I'll run out and replace them tonight. But my female is just a little bit bigger than the male, but not by too much.

I'll post just to set myself a reminder to weigh my group. My batteries just went out in my scale so I'll run out and replace them tonight. But my female is just a little bit bigger than the male, but not by too much.

Thanks so much, I just like to make sure all is well with my little ones.

No problem Laurie. Mine are small still too though, so don't think that I'm going to tell you my female is at 26 grams and my male is at 20 or something! Mine are probably not very far off.

Hey Laurie. I got around to weighing my pair today.

The Male is 4g
btransvaa.jpg

The Female is 6g
FEMALE_zpsacfa552d.png

They are eating FruitFlies and freshly born B.dubia roaches as a staple. I also offer small Pheonixworms (hard to get quality small feeders in the NorthEast this time of year).I just got some bean beetles in, have yet to offer any yet.

Thats how much my new ones weigh as well Jon, they all come in almost identical in size and color. There was one small pumilum female out of the bunch that was noticeably different in size from the other females, but she looked GREAT colorwise and had a very healthy appetite while I had her and drank regularly. The reason he sent a smaller female then sending a larger one was because he wasnt 100% of the sex of the larger one, but he was 100% on this smaller female so he sent the smaller so the ratios would be correct.

Bad news here Jon. i just lost my female transvaalense, now I only have a male like the other three have.:(

Hey Laurie. I got around to weighing my pair today.

The Male is 4g
btransvaa.jpg

The Female is 6g
FEMALE_zpsacfa552d.png

They are eating FruitFlies and freshly born B.dubia roaches as a staple. I also offer small Pheonixworms (hard to get quality small feeders in the NorthEast this time of year).I just got some bean beetles in, have yet to offer any yet.

Back
Top Bottom