CONFUSED PLEASE HELP!

so as you may know, venus hasn’t been doing so good and we see the vet tomorrow. in the mean time she has recommended warm soaks and putting him in the shower and letting the humidity of the hot water hydrate him. however, once i took him out of the shower it looked like he was gasping for air…. im no vet but i would assume that high temps and high humidity would INCREASE chance of respitory infection… not treat it. but i’m just really confused. should i keep putting him in the tub on a plant and letting him bathe in the steam or just leave him be?

so as you may know, venus hasn’t been doing so good and we see the vet tomorrow. in the mean time she has recommended warm soaks and putting him in the shower and letting the humidity of the hot water hydrate him. however, once i took him out of the shower it looked like he was gasping for air…. im no vet but i would assume that high temps and high humidity would INCREASE chance of respitory infection… not treat it. but i’m just really confused. should i keep putting him in the tub on a plant and letting him bathe in the steam or just leave him be?
Hey there I would get a new vet. If this vet told you to do this then they do not understand chameleons. Chameleons do not hydrate this way but also it is very dangerous for them to mix them with Hot wet air. We only use humidifiers/foggers when temps are below 65 degrees because cold air is needed. If you add heat while adding moisture this becomes a recipe for a chameleon to develop a respiratory infection.

So if the cham is dehydrated... You can put it on a plant in a shower. Then with room temp water your are aiming the shower at the wall so it can bounce back onto the plant. But this if typically only done with very very dehydrated chams. Otherwise it can cause more stress than good. Instead with chams you can put ice cubes on the top of the cage and let them drip on to the plants below. The movement of water increases instinct to drink.

Back
Top Bottom