Comparing Two Screen Enclosures

inlinefourpower

I currently have an exoterra tall glass cage for my male veiled chameleon (probably 6-8 months old) and it's about time for me to get him a larger cage. I have some questions...

1. As much as I like glass cages for their looks, I would prefer a healthy chameleon! I'll be transitioning to a screen cage. At present I use an Exoterra mister to keep his environment humid and all. It's still a constant battle even with live plants and soil substrate. I just can't wrap my mind around how a screen cage can possibly hold humidity any better! Am I just going to have to step up the misting?

2. I'm comparing two screen cages:

36x24x24 Screen Cage

24x24x48 Screen Cage

The 48 inch tall screen cage is a bit big for the space I have available but it's tough to resist giving him the extra room. So, I'm kinda deciding based on build quality. Anyone have any experience with these or recommendations?

3. His terrarium always smells... Terrarium-y. Do screen cages contain the smell well?

Thanks!

I recently bought one of each and I have to say that I like the repti-breeze the best. the DYI cage is not as sturdy when put together and there were gaps in the between the door and the cage because the hinges did not line up. I am having to use weather stripping to seal the cage so that the crickets can't get out.

You want spikes in humidity not constant - the screen cages have better airflow and you don't get smelly cages - It sounds to me like an airflow problem in your current cage and the soil substrate is the problem- not the chameleon - if your chameleon poop is smelly you should have a fecal done -
NJ is pretty humid and I know that some people have a harder time keeping humidity in dryer states - I'd ask someone here who lives near you advise on how they keep their humidity up. I run my misters for enough time for mine to drink and then let the cages dry out before running it again - I had to change the timing for the winter when the heat was running as our heat drys out the house more -but mostly it's two good soakings a day (morning and afternoon) and short shots in between - I run my last one with enough time to dry out before bedtime and I use a cool mist humidifier with my jackson and drippers with all of them. They all have good drainage into buckets which I dump every day -
I just ordered a cage from CanvasChameleons and I have a Dragonstrand that I just set up- I don't have the "Fortress" that I ordered from Canvas yet but they are 24 X 18 X 44 - and I'm getting it modified for the space/chameleon I have -
If your in a dry area the Dragonstrands breeders are 3 sides PVC - I know that some people cover a side or two to keep humidity up and this does it and still looks good. I ordered a kitchen cart from Overstock that I modified for my stand and I'm very happy with the way it looks.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't really realize I was looking for spikes! My chameleon's face always looks a little dried out and I don't trust his hygrometer that much so maybe I was overwatering him... I'll got with the reptibreeze

Back
Top Bottom