Color change from red to green

Chumpboy

I have a 16 month old male panther chameleon. For the first 13 months, his body color was mostly red, then all of a sudden, all his red has changed to a green/ light green. Is that normal?

2FA443A4-2889-41F9-93B5-55DA4CBC4DB9.jpeg 70B299EE-6EB8-4C84-85FC-F61B0D89ABA1.jpeg lig

I dont have an explanation why, but my 2.5 yr old went from almost completely teal to completely red in a few months. No concern on my part.

So many factors to analyze before anyone can know for sure.

Do panther males have radical color shifts normally? Sure. They can change many times as they develop their adult colors.

The fact that chameleons use color to communicate, and bright colors are usually a sign of stress or display leads me to ask 2 questions: 1 - Is it possible he is just settled in and happy? or 2 - Have you seen him "Fired up" recently, and if so what colors does he show then?

Could it be an issue of diet and/or supplements? We can't know from a picture. Poor diet or dietary deficiency could be the culprit but without knowing your routines we couldn't say.

Could it be a lighting issue? The effect of light intensity and spectrum is open for debate, and probably argument, but I personally feel that it plays a role in the color display of chams. Do you have the right light setup? Again, a pic doesn't give us to details to evaluate. Even if you do, are you able to monitor the output of your bulbs? Meaning, could they be due for replacement?

So, I would love to give you definitive answer, but I just don't have the information to be accurate for you.

If all husbandry items are good, then please bear in mind: Some males have brilliant displays as they go through the cham version of puberty, when their hormones can make them a bit more aggressive and they are instinctually preparing to battle for dominance, but as they mature and settle down a bit, especially in the consistent, routine environments that we prepare for them, they just don't have a need to give dominance or threat displays.

Is this good or bad? I haven't a clue. I did read a few articles (probably provided by Kinyonga) about the social nature of chameleons which may force us to re-evaluate our common practice and fear of letting chameleons see each other in captivity. Do I know anything about this issue to be true or false? No.

Anyway, maybe you could put a small mirror near his cage for a short period of time so he could see himself? See what he looks like fired up lately, if you don't already know.
But probably someone would say that it would create unnecessary stress, so I probably shouldn't advise you to try this.

Sorry if this wasn't the simple answer you were looking for!

Back
Top Bottom