Coconut husk

Rasta

How do y’all feel about putting up coconut husk mats on the walls to hold in humidity better?

It can be a bit expensive to do and you do need to keep watch for any mold growth, but it can be nice.
I used it for my girls for a while and they seemed to enjoy climbing it...and pulling it back to sneak peeks at their handsome neighbor. It was quite dark. After trying that and a faux background, I now have returned to shower curtain and have a blue sky one.

Attachments

• tempImagebjx4mo.png
    tempImagebjx4mo.png
    3 MB · Views: 16
I don't like the idea of keeping in humidity as it is. Everything I've read says you should really keep the air circulating well in a humid environment (esp for chameleons). Also, as @MissSkittles already said, I'd be worried about mold developing.

I'm personally dealing with humidity being low (due to forced heat on with low temps in new jersey) and instead of trying to trap the humidity in my enclosure (full mesh), I am adjusting misting sessions. Adding more / raising the length accordingly. This has worked well for me. I'm still getting his humidity in the 80s-90s at night with these adjustments.

I know not everyones situation is the same. But for me personally, I just feel like trapping humidity seems risky.

I run my fogger from 1am-6am continuously without trapping the humidity. And of course I mist as well on a schedule for 2-3 mins.

Just my two cents!

It can be a bit expensive to do and you do need to keep watch for any mold growth, but it can be nice.
I used it for my girls for a while and they seemed to enjoy climbing it...and pulling it back to sneak peeks at their handsome neighbor. It was quite dark. After trying that and a faux background, I now have returned to shower curtain and have a blue sky one.
Yeah I thought it was cool they can climb it and it’s natural. Good note about the mold tho.. I’m planning on doing the bag coconut mat and the rest open air flow

I don't like the idea of keeping in humidity as it is. Everything I've read says you should really keep the air circulating well in a humid environment (esp for chameleons). Also, as @MissSkittles already said, I'd be worried about mold developing.

I'm personally dealing with humidity being low (due to forced heat on with low temps in new jersey) and instead of trying to trap the humidity in my enclosure (full mesh), I am adjusting misting sessions. Adding more / raising the length accordingly. This has worked well for me. I'm still getting his humidity in the 80s-90s at night with these adjustments.

I know not everyones situation is the same. But for me personally, I just feel like trapping humidity seems risky.

I run my fogger from 1am-6am continuously without trapping the humidity. And of course I mist as well on a schedule for 2-3 mins.

Just my two cents!
That’s a good point thank you!! I’m planning on doing the back all coconut husk and the rest mesh. I was planning on putting some vents towards the bottom as well I’m doing a pretty complicated DIY build. I just didn’t want a plain wall. Is there any device or anything that can tell the level of mold buildup?

Just my two cents!
Totally agree. Gotta soak things and let them dry out completely. I do cover two sides to protect the drywall in the corner. Plants also have to dry out or you get lots of annoying gnats.

Dang that looks so cool!!!! Your chams must be so happy!
Yeah I would take her advice on this. Not only does she have excellent experience, but in all honesty..... those foam made walls are awesome. And you can shape them how you want. They will be much safer for your chameleon.

IMO, you shouldn't use any of the cocounut husk. I just think it's really risky.

It looks cool though and I understand wanting to use it aesthetically. Maybe you could make a large coconut backdrop and just put it behind the chameleon enclosure up against a wall?? That would be neat.

But yeah -this is just my opinion- I personally think you should either just go full screen (if you can.....if you have issues with way too low humidity, then you may NEED a hybrid design....), or go with those foam walls.

I really wanted to do the foam walls myself for the back of the enclosure, but I ended up not having the time and I built my enclosure out of wood so I just had enough once it was done lol

I never got any mold growth, even with poop. However LOWD does the loose crickets love to breed in the stuff...

Back
Top Bottom