coco liner??

pr3mo15

Is it ok to leave coco liner those baskets you buy to hang plants in?? Is it safe for the chameleon? Or should i remove it??

Yeah i guess....I was just going to leave the plant in there and leave the coco liner in aswell....

more072.jpg

I line some of my smaller cages for Rh. spinosus with coconut fiber. It allows for some air flow, holds a small amount of water for humidity and reduces drafts. Best of all, increases privacy.

Your application is fine. I would keep it in there for the health of your plants and their root systems.

I like where you're going with this cage.

One recommendation about hanging the potted plants. If the hooks are screwed into the wood, secure the hooks in with some type of sealant adhesive because in time the humidity and moisture, combined with the weight of the plant as it matures could pull the hooks right out of the wood. It may take a long time and a lot of water, but putting a sealant into the hole where the hook screws in would provide more longevity.

EDIT: If you are using cup hooks, opt for larger heavier duty hooks. The threads are deeper and will dig into the wood better.

Last edited:
And try and cover any sharp edges on the hooks and chain. Don't want your cham's tongue getting stuck

Yeah try and cover the sharp edges. I would also be scared of rust if those are metal.

LOL, give him/her lots to stress about why dontcha! Does anyone have a 'Perfect' ideal and harmfree enclosure, really? Theres always something that can 'possibly' be detrimental. Unless you wrap the cham in cottonwool like a museum peice, no cage will ever be 'perfect'. :)

Sometimes I marvel at the things folk worry about. Plenty more hazards in the wild!
I think most of our chams are living in conditions aimed at making them immortal! :)

So that said, ill add something... The 'S' peice that holds the chain and goes through the eyehook,
IS a potential hazzard, wire is a bit sharper than a broken branch and stronger too.
You might use one of these instead for easy removal of your plants, and close the 'S' peice with pliers?

carabiner.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes I marvel at the things folk worry about. Plenty more hazards in the wild!

I am with you on that one. But it is good that people are treating their animals right. I swear some dogs have it better then us hahaha

I decided to throw caution to the wind and am now using barbed wire for vines. I found a bunch at work so its free, won't rust because its galvanized and it bends nicely too.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and am now using barbed wire for vines. I found a bunch at work so its free, won't rust because its galvanized and it bends nicely too.

Theres always one sarcastic smartarse! Get Help! Wheres the Mods today hmm? Part time Troll?

I am with you on that one. But it is good that people are treating their animals right. I swear some dogs have it better then us hahaha

Yes its definately a good thing! I was just referring to how some folk get concerned about the tiniest detail that most would overlook. My own cage is as good as I can get it, but there are still a few things that could be better designed, but thats mass production for you. (plastic siderails are smooth and offer no grip, I may wrap them in the rubber vine for traction :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom