Close eyes like sharks?

Mesnik

I just realized that the chameleons close their eyes right at the second (split, really!) that the prey is going in the mouth, just like sharks...

Is that right? Or was just a coincidence when watching that BBC video?

Cool.

yes they do close their eyes.
I have watched several videos of chameleons feeding and all of which close their eyes.
Their are a couple of pictures here on the forum that you can see.
I think their might be one in the contest this month.-check it out.

Haha! You're right! I never realized that's what it was, I wouldn't want to look either....

I think I read or heard somewhere that it's not only habit, but that they physically can't retract the tongue without closing their eyes. Can't remember the source though. Heck, it mighta been something about frogs too :confused:

Chameleons close their eyes to prevent being wounded by struggling prey.

As for some toads and frogs... I thought they closed and pushed their eyes down into their skulls to push the food into their stomachs as they don't have a true esophagus. I have not worked with enough amphibians to be sure of that one!

Cheers,
t

chams

sharks and alot of lizards will close their eyes when feeding to prevent eye injury from struggling prey as said above. Yes it also true that frogs and toads will use their eyes to push food down their throat when swallowing as well.

I was watching some high speed videos that Chris A. filmed of chameleons capturing prey. The first thing I noticed is how much the tongue flys around upon recoil. It actually swings in a circular motion around the sides of the head before returning to the mouth.

If the cham didn't close it's eyes it would certainly put one out!

We cant sneeze with our eyes open. Its impossible

Old wives' tale. You can do it; it's just not very pleasant. My body was totally confused when I did it in junior high school. Also, the Mythbusters episode on this was pretty darned amusing.

If the cham didn't close it's eyes it would certainly put one out!

At least it's not an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! That recoil is just amazing in slow motion.

Back
Top Bottom