Cleaning plants?

Casket_Case

Avid Member
Can I wash plant foliage with water outside? I can’t do the bathtub wash because my parents would not be happy about that. Also can I just throw some gravel in the pots to stop my Chameleon from getting into the potting mix?

Can I wash plant foliage with water outside? I can’t do the bathtub wash because my parents would not be happy about that. Also can I just throw some gravel in the pots to stop my Chameleon from getting into the potting mix?

Yes I just hose my branches and plants down outside in my front yard. Gravel might be too small. You want river rocks that can't be swallowed by the chameleon.

I mean, if it’s just with water, I don’t see why it would hurt.

not gravel, but you have the right idea. You should put in stones that are to large for her to accidentally eat, but if you put in gravel, your Cham might accidentally eat a little gravel,and get impacted.

I don't see why not—water is water. Missus is the green thumb—she's cleaned plants outside, bathtub/shower, kitchen sink, & kitchen table.

Not gravel—river pebbles. A couple of caveats...

Do I need to change the soil if I put in rocks?
Mmm... No, but we generally transplant new arrivals (many are root-bound, and you never know what else you may find (molds, fungus, bugs, etc.) as a matter of course. It also gives us a chance to:
  • Make sure there's a drainage level at the bottom (which can be gravel).
  • Leave 1-2" at the top for the river pebbles.
N.B. Some plants don't do well with pebbles.

I don't see why not—water is water. Missus is the green thumb—she's cleaned plants outside, bathtub/shower, kitchen sink, & kitchen table.

Mmm... No, but we generally transplant new arrivals (many are root-bound, and you never know what else you may find (molds, fungus, bugs, etc.) as a matter of course. It also gives us a chance to:
Oof it’s probably gonna mess with my Canna’s growth, the rocks

Also I like how you knew I’d go for the black ones so you mentioned the paint lmbo

Last edited:
Also I like how you knew I’d go for the black ones so you mentioned the paint lmbo
I thought they looked nice too. I thought they were just black pebbles when I first bought some, but it's pretty obvious—the paint was all globby & runny on a few.

Oof it’s probably gonna mess with my Canna’s growth, the rocks
In lieu of pebbles, here's an alternative (which can be DIY with a shallow cone of screen).
https://www.amazon.com/Flower-Repellent-Safety-Protect-Children/dp/B07NTX5FDF

The plants I hosed down and sprayed each leaf I had just gotten the palm Wednesday so I made sure I rubbed each leaf to make sure theres nothing on it and now the rocks are in. I need to put more small pieces of gravel in cause some dirt peeks through the holes. I’m sorry I keep posting I’m just so anxious

How about putting down leaf litter instead of gravel? If you find some already dried magnolia or oak leaves you can collect those, shake them off, and just put on top of the soil then rocks on top of those.

Last edited:
Back at this. I just get so anxious when I get a new plant, I don’t want him to get hurt. I got a shefflera:
image.jpg
I put sand and stones in the pot and I just really rinsed the plant. There’s too many leaves to actually wash them so I just rinsed them with cold water and now they’re sitting and almost dried. Should I just add them in now?

Back
Top Bottom