chlorine quick question

chamer

If I hook up a misting system to the house, the water has chlorine in it, IS that OK if i have another dripper I use drops to remove chlorine?

You might want to get a RO system in your house to save you the trouble of having to replace some parts on the misting system.

Depending on the drops, it could have nasty stuff in it for your chameleon AND your misting system.

If you have calcium in your water, it could buildup in the mister and stop it from misting eventually.

thanks for the advise i was just reading about one someone had put in his green house, SWEET! but we are not going to be her long so cant do that now. Will the cholrine hurt the Cham?

Chlorine will evaporate overnight if the water is left in a bucket or bowl with no lid.

To make sure I am getting this straight you have a misting system connected to the house. You also use a dripper, which you treat by adding drops to remove chlorine? Are you using something like Reptisafe water treatment?

I don't know where you are located and I don't know the type of what supply you have, so i can't really tell you if directly plumbing the house water to your mister is 'ok'. BUT, in most cases it isn't a big deal. I use a 10 gallon tank at the moment that is 'vented' so I can fill it without it exploding, but I don't think that provides enough ventilation to evaporate the the chlorine. If the chlorine isn't being removed from evaporation, my chams get chlorine each day since I don't treat the water. Having said that I have been using this method for about two years with no issues.

You can get a carbon filter element and housing from Home Depot that will remove most of your chlorine.

I am building an RO system at the moment and using products from Buckeye Field Supply.

Is chlorine proven to be bad for chameleons, or is this an extra precaution that we take? Just wondering, i have always tried to make sure i get the water in the bin the night before. So the chlorine will evaporate.

thanks for the advise. This system I bought hooks directly to the house hose so no way for the chlorine to escape. I then have a normal drip system that i use with Retesafe. I was thinking the mister would put more mostiure during the day and even cool it down some for the summer months.

Is chlorine proven to be bad for chameleons, or is this an extra precaution that we take? Just wondering, i have always tried to make sure i get the water in the bin the night before. So the chlorine will evaporate.

Its all dependent on how much. chlorine isn't something you, your cham or I should be drinking. We add it to our water so that it can kill bacteria in the water... sorta like your swimming pool.

Chloramine is something they use these days as well. It is more stable than chlorine.

There was a really good thread about RO and water.... but some people got way out of hand with political rights and it was shut down... or... maybe its around but with a lot of edits :rolleyes:.

OK, that is kind of what i thought. I imagine it would take lot smaller amounts to harm a cham compared to a person. And i do agree, it is nothing that either one of us should be drinking.

I would have liked to saw this thread you are talking about sounds like it could have been interesting. I was talking to a guy a while ago who was convinced chlorine was put in water to dumb down society. I don't know if that is where that thread went but it was the first i have ever herd a opinion like that. He went on on how he had a friend that has a patent on this system that produces pure water. (NOT RO SYSTEM) I didnt know what to say or think...

He appeared and spoke like a pretty intelligent guy but wow i have never herd anything like that.

OK, that is kind of what i thought. I imagine it would take lot smaller amounts to harm a cham compared to a person. And i do agree, it is nothing that either one of us should be drinking.

I would have liked to saw this thread you are talking about sounds like it could have been interesting. I was talking to a guy a while ago who was convinced chlorine was put in water to dumb down society. I don't know if that is where that thread went but it was the first i have ever herd a opinion like that. He went on on how he had a friend that has a patent on this system that produces pure water. (NOT RO SYSTEM) I didnt know what to say or think...

He appeared and spoke like a pretty intelligent guy but wow i have never herd anything like that.

I just found the thread in my old email updates.... it is still locked up. There was a comment about how water has an effect on humans... increasing curtain things... a bunch of diseases were mentioned and in that list was homosexuality... which isn't a disease, but it did spark some interesting conversation about our rights of free speech.

desultadox said:
Summoner12 said:
Even if a supply of water contributes to ones sexual identity, I don't think anyone here has anything against homosexuals, I certainly don't. I also don't think it is a 'desease' to be gay. I think people of science will do what they always do, try to find the answer to every question thought up by mankind.

To each his own in a persuit of happiness.

I'm with you 100%. But I didn't see anything in this thread that was anti-gay. The fact that people got so defensive over something that was never offensive to begin with makes me think they are the ones that view it as a negative thing. What I'm upset about is how happy people are to fight AGAINST free speech. Just because you don't disagree with somebody doesn't mean you should belittle or patronize them (especially if you have no information to discredit them). Everybody's unique ideas should be respected equally.

This has gone way off-topic thanks to these loud-mouthed freedom-haters, but by now most of you know I'm not one to sit idly by as an injustice is served. :)

I only have a couple of the emails still... that was one that shows how it all went south. The other emails are of desultadox doing a lot of yelling. :rolleyes:

You can get a good Reverse Osmosis system for relatively cheap, around 150$ US, and filters are about 5-10$ once a year (depending on water quality).

This is the system we use: http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-144-goldline-ro.aspx they are the best quality filters we have found, and we've tried plenty.

This is something that will last your whole life, and you can split a t-valve off to your chameleons AND to your sink, so you both can benefit.

Chlorine is no good for any living organism in the amount that is in tap water, and neither is most of the other stuff in there.

If you are using a misting system, the chameleon will drink more from that than from a dripper, but of course it depends how often you're misting.

Back
Top Bottom