Chameleons and pregnancy

Deanoo

I have always loved Chameleons and having recently moved from Australia to Canada have discovered to my delight that i could possibly care for one. i have been researching the verious requirements for caring for one propperly and was told that if my wife was to fall pregnant that being around lizards is a health risk to the baby. I was wondering if any one had heard of such a thing or is it BS. My Chameleon dream hinges on the answer.:confused:

The real risk from captive bred reptiles is salmonella. It's also an issue for children under five and anyone with an impaired immune system. Just treat the entire cage area like you've been prepping raw chicken and you should be good to go.

It's also a risk for her to be around a cat's litter box due to toxoplasmosis.

Well, that's a bit extreme! You're far more likely to come into contact with salmonella handleing raw chicken. Just wash your hands and you'll be fine.

Of course, if you cannot keep your toddler away from your animals... different story. If you're not responsible enough to keep your kids away from the floor of the cages, you're not going to keep them away form guns, knives, cleaners...etc.

My little girl is 3, and since she's been 1, I've taught her to wash hands whenever we go to the lizard room. And that she's not to go there without Daddy.

Back
Top Bottom