Chameleon Workshops in Southern California

chamelisa

Pardon me for reintroducing ChamEO but many new keepers may not even be aware of it and it has been a long time since I participated in the forums on a regular basis. Part of that absence had to do with changes our family was going through, especially since our daughters graduated high school last June. Things were supposed to get easier, right? Instead it just intensified. :)

Also, for the past several years our family has been active in the local herpetologists society devoting many hours to keeping the organization running. But my husband and I decided to take next year off (likely longer, we are exhausted) and direct our attention to ChamEO.

Chameleon Education & Outreach, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. We incorporated in 2005 and received our 501(c)(3) status in 2007. We work exclusively with chameleons. You can read more on our website and expect updates over the next several days.

In the past, ChamEO has held workshops to help new keepers; to build custom cages; to make cool cage plants using bonsai techniques; and to provide free vet clinics. It can be very costly to offer workshops and getting people to commit to attending a class is hard enough, but when you ask them to pay a fee for the class in this economy you are asking a lot. So we wanted to change things and offer something even better and more consistent for the local chameleon keepers. Somehow we will find a way to benefit our friends all over the world.

In 2010 ChamEO is beginning a monthly workshop program called Chameo Clinic.

Chameo Clinic
will be a series of workshops covering various topics on chameleons. We will schedule expert speakers from the chameleon community and have slideshow presentations. There will also be hands-on classes where we will learn how to run fecal tests and monitor for parasites.

Our plans will also include 3 or 4 veterinary workshops with some of the local vets who are experienced with chameleons. There will be no charge for the examination and depending on funds, Chameo may be able to cover the cost of prescription treatments.

We are pleased to announce that Zoo Med Laboratories has offered product support for our program. We have also applied for two grants from a couple of foundations and should know more by the end of December. As we get more information, the “workshops” page on our website (www.chameo.org) will be updated.

If you would like to help get this show on the road, here are a few ways you can help:

• Make a tax deductible donation
• Provide carpentry, electrical or design services
• Supply paper towels, microscope slides and slip covers, disposable gloves, chlorhexadine.

If you think of other ways you would like to help, please don’t hesitate to let us know. You can call (818) 219-9315 and speak to me about it. If I don’t answer, please leave a message and I’ll call you back as soon as I can.

Thank you.

I can hook you up with microscope slides, covers and non latex gloves. And anything medical related. Give me a call at 3212874593 call after 6pm est to discuss shipping

I can hook you up with microscope slides, covers and non latex gloves. And anything medical related. Give me a call at 3212874593 call after 6pm est to discuss shipping

Thank you! Good talking to you. I'll provide you with my FedEx account and we can use ground delivery. That would be the least expensive.

im excited for this. It was interesting to hear you talk about it last night

I'm excited about it too. It'll be a lot of fun.

What kind of electrical work are you looking to get done?

We need to have more outlets installed and one switched out with a gfci. We're going to need to increase our lighting. Not sure how or with what but we need better lighting in the lab area. Not a huge amount of work really.

When we started getting in depth on what kind of workshops will be available my jaw nearly dropped. I think what Chamelisa intends on doing is going to bring the cham society closer and broaden our fan base. She definately got the support of the few that were able to make it to the meeting. Its about time someone educates the people that aren't already in the herp society.

-Trevor

Back
Top Bottom