Chameleon with mouth rot or?

Hi all,

i have a 7.5 month old male panther chameleon living in a 28x28x52” mesh enclosure.
Basking temp is 90 and he has multiple areas of different temperatures.

relative humidity stays at about 40%

my chameleon is very active, colourful, is eating super well, drinks a lot of water and shows no signs of illness.

for the past 3 weeks I have noticed a small brown thing protruding from his mouth that would dry up and fall out and then reappear.

from what I can tell this isn’t mouth rot, but I am not very sure what it is to be honest. I think it’s probably a small cut in his mouth and what I am seeing is the scab from it falling off, but please let me know what you think or if you’ve seen this before!
DAA89129-CA5E-4FB9-8246-BC11404BD2FE.jpeg

Hi all,

i have a 7.5 month old male panther chameleon living in a 28x28x52” mesh enclosure.
Basking temp is 90 and he has multiple areas of different temperatures.

relative humidity stays at about 40%

my chameleon is very active, colourful, is eating super well, drinks a lot of water and shows no signs of illness.

for the past 3 weeks I have noticed a small brown thing protruding from his mouth that would dry up and fall out and then reappear.

from what I can tell this isn’t mouth rot, but I am not very sure what it is to be honest. I think it’s probably a small cut in his mouth and what I am seeing is the scab from it falling off, but please let me know what you think or if you’ve seen this before!
View attachment 289870
Not commenting on the possible mouth rot, as I’m not too knowledgeable in it, my only advice for it is to go see an experienced chameleon vet. As for husbandry, the basking temp is too high, and the humidity is too low. Around 85*F is max for basking (measured where his casque/top of his back is on his basking branch), and 50-60/70% for daytime humidity levels.

Try to get a picture of him with his mouth open. Like give him a feeder and snap the pics.
I have these photos of him eating a bug, but it is hard to get him to open his mouth fully:/

Attachments

• D6191E4B-C8B4-4C6C-8E4D-2122630D7449.jpeg
    D6191E4B-C8B4-4C6C-8E4D-2122630D7449.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 1B1DD2F4-8508-4AF6-977E-7688DD0729EB.jpeg
    1B1DD2F4-8508-4AF6-977E-7688DD0729EB.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 141
  • 5A218B17-52B4-45CF-BF79-7A4C63D11C8B.jpeg
    5A218B17-52B4-45CF-BF79-7A4C63D11C8B.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 134
I have these photos of him eating a bug, but it is hard to get him to open his mouth fully:/
So there is something going on there... You can see in the first picture that there is an abnormality to the gum line. I kinda wish the images were not taken through the screen so I could see a bit better. I would take him to a reptile Vet with chameleon experience. Even if it is minor now mouth infections are something that should not be chanced because they can get very bad if antibiotics are not given to deal with the infection.

So there is something going on there... You can see in the first picture that there is an abnormality to the gum line. I kinda wish the images were not taken through the screen so I could see a bit better. I would take him to a reptile Vet with chameleon experience. Even if it is minor now mouth infections are something that should not be chanced because they can get very bad if antibiotics are not given to deal with the infection.
Covid has made a trip to the vet very difficult, but I am consulting with an online reptile vet now. Hopefully they will have some answers or can give me a treatment.

The vet online recommended trying a bit of neosporin before going to a vet. Do you know if neosporin is safe for Chams?

The vet online recommended trying a bit of neosporin before going to a vet. Do you know if neosporin is safe for Chams?
I would not put neosporin near the mouth of a cham... Then they are ingesting it. It is petroleum based. So that would be a hard no. The problem with dial a vets is that they more then likely do not have chameleon or reptile experience. This is why we only recommend taking your chameleon to a qualified Vet with experience. Otherwise they don't know actually how to treat them.

Back
Top Bottom