chameleon trying to eat reflection?

dasher

So basically, sometimes when I'm feeding my veiled with tongs, like mealworms, etc, my chameleon sees the tongs in the reflection of the glass and focuses on the glass, and then tries to eat it. It's pretty unusual, but is it normal? Do I need to get that checked out?

so you mean your Cham tries to eat the bugs reflection in the glass? If so I don’t think that’s a problem, you just need to redirect him to the real food. I’m no expert and I’m sure one of them will be around soon.

I agree with @MissSkittles . Cup feeding is much safer.
As far as normal yes it is. They don’t understand the difference between reflection or real. Also he will relate tongs or cup to food and come to it.

+1

I was thinking glass shouldn't be a problem for his tongue, but then it occurred to me he'd be aiming at the reflection, which would be beyond the distance to the glass, so yeah... that might sting.

I finally got my panther to take a worm from my open palm, and the strike was an interesting sensation. It wasn't sticky or anything—just felt like striking the opposite index finger against the palm.

I use 2 feeders at present; a feeder run cup for crickets, and an open feeder bowl for roaches & worms. I may try more hand feedings as I can.

Back
Top Bottom