Chameleon tried to eat a bird in my house....

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I still have no idea how, but a bird was flying around in our little office room where the cham free ranges. He was chasing this bird all over(which looked a bit too big for him to eat) trying to eat it. Poor bird wasn't even safe in the only room that our 2 cats can't get into. Luckily I got it out a window.

So he was pretty excited about this bird, that convinces me even more they're probably eating a lot of them in the wild... unless they live in some magical place where birds don't exist.... this chameleon has shown no interest in black soldier flies, bottleflies, any sort of worm, superworm included, but does love all roaches, most wild insects like stinkbugs and beetles, and apparently birds!

I still have no idea how, but a bird was flying around in our little office room where the cham free ranges. He was chasing this bird all over(which looked a bit too big for him to eat) trying to eat it. Poor bird wasn't even safe in the only room that our 2 cats can't get into. Luckily I got it out a window.

So he was pretty excited about this bird, that convinces me even more they're probably eating a lot of them in the wild... unless they live in some magical place where birds don't exist.... this chameleon has shown no interest in black soldier flies, bottleflies, any sort of worm, superworm included, but does love all roaches, most wild insects like stinkbugs and beetles, and apparently birds!
Good thing it wasn't a hummingbird or it probably would have been history?

Calumma parsonii parsonii and Trioceros melleri have been documented hunting and eating birds both in their native habitat and in captivity. There is some documentation of this in the CIN. This vertebrate hunting is a more natural way for larger chameleon species to meet their nutrient and mineral requirements. I have studied this theory for a while now. I know and had the conversation with Ardi that local Malagasy reported to Ardi Abate that they observed regularly Calumma parsonii parsonii would hunt several species of small birds. I have a thread about this topic on the Calumma Parsonii Forums that is now closed.

Best Regard
Jeremy A. Rich

How on earth? Aren't birds like two times the size of a chamelons? We talk about hornworms ripping the tongue off of a cham! ??

How on earth? Aren't birds like two times the size of a chamelons? We talk about hornworms ripping the tongue off of a cham! ??

Parsons are much bigger than most chams, some large veileds have gotten small birds, but to give you an idea my parsons is about 2-3x bigger than a panther chameleon... and he's still on the small side...

Calumma parsonii parsonii and Trioceros melleri have been documented hunting and eating birds both in their native habitat and in captivity. There is some documentation of this in the CIN. This vertebrate hunting is a more natural way for larger chameleon species to meet their nutrient and mineral requirements. I have studied this theory for a while now. I know and had the conversation with Ardi that local Malagasy reported to Ardi Abate that they observed regularly Calumma parsonii parsonii would hunt several species of small birds. I have a thread about this topic on the Calumma Parsonii Forums that is now closed.

Best Regard
Jeremy A. Rich

I've always figured that, but mr necas disagrees

Parsons are much bigger than most chams, some large veileds have gotten small birds, but to give you an idea my parsons is about 2-3x bigger than a panther chameleon... and he's still on the small side...
Yes, I have heard that parsons are huge! Wow that is a huge Chameleon! ??

I've always figured that, but mr necas disagrees

Necas is Necas. I wrote an article while living on my family ranch about Fucifer oustaleti hunting Western Fence Lizards and Alligator LIzards for the CIN when I was in high school. That started the theory and talks with Ardi about larger species of chameleons hunting vertebrates in the wild as a source for essential minerals and nutrients. Ardi and I have found evidence that larger species are hunters of small vertebrates in their native habitats. The only documentation I have got is the CIN Though For Food Journal article done by me off the top of my head.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom