Chameleon Slowly Becomming UN-Acustom To Me?

Jokeya

Hello! So, I've had my chameleon for a good 3 months now. She's slowly getting bigger and bigger, but there is one thing I'm starting to notice. She is starting to get more timid with me. There was a good amount of time where she would gladly get on my hand and let me take her outside, let her explore, etc. But now, she's been getting both more aggressive and more timid. It's to the point where now when I open her cage to feed her or mist her plants down, she'll do the 'dinosaur hand,' puff up, and/or turn darker. She's even starting to gape her mouth whenever I get too close to her. Yet, she'll still take bugs from my hand no problem. I kind of assumed that she would slowly get more territorial as she aged, but it just happened so suddenely. Will she eventually warm up to me again? And what can I do to make that happen?

She hit cham puberty is looks like, and she may or may not warm up to you again, there is no way to tell. All chams are different and this is a normal part of her growing up. You are already lucky enough to have a cham that eats from your hand, not all chams will do that :)

Thank you for the info! I was going to make an assumption that she might of hit puberty, but I didn't realize it was actually a legitamate thing lol! I suppose I'll just let her go through her phase without bothering her too much.

Hello! So, I've had my chameleon for a good 3 months now. She's slowly getting bigger and bigger, but there is one thing I'm starting to notice. She is starting to get more timid with me. There was a good amount of time where she would gladly get on my hand and let me take her outside, let her explore, etc. But now, she's been getting both more aggressive and more timid. It's to the point where now when I open her cage to feed her or mist her plants down, she'll do the 'dinosaur hand,' puff up, and/or turn darker. She's even starting to gape her mouth whenever I get too close to her. Yet, she'll still take bugs from my hand no problem. I kind of assumed that she would slowly get more territorial as she aged, but it just happened so suddenely. Will she eventually warm up to me again? And what can I do to make that happen?

Sometimes it's best to leave these animals alone. Keep in mind Chameleons are solitary reptiles and they enjoy their time alone so don't be offended. I've had my cham now for 2 years and we have a great relationship. I respect his space and I don't handle him frequently. I allow him to free roam in his secure private enclosure and when I'm ready to feed him. It's always by hand. Once I'm done feeding him. His off to his own personal space. When I see he wants to get out of his enclosure I help him out. But I'm never trying to handle him where he gets stressed. We have to keep in mind their not like dogs/ cats. They don't want to be petted.

Continue to hand feed and work at her pace. Respect the signs of defensive behavior and realize it's not her being angry or mad at you, but actually her being scared of you.
Continue to hand feed and work at her pace. Respect the signs of defensive behavior and realize it's not her being angry or mad at you, but actually her being scared of you.

Hi, Gingero. Good to see you. Are any of your chams showing signs of brumation?

Sometimes it's best to leave these animals alone. Keep in mind Chameleons are solitary reptiles and they enjoy their time alone so don't be offended. I've had my cham now for 2 years and we have a great relationship. I respect his space and I don't handle him frequently. I allow him to free roam in his secure private enclosure and when I'm ready to feed him. It's always by hand. Once I'm done feeding him. His off to his own personal space. When I see he wants to get out of his enclosure I help him out. But I'm never trying to handle him where he gets stressed. We have to keep in mind their not like dogs/ cats. They don't want to be petted.
Yeah, there was a point where she actually did used to come to me when I'd open her cage. Now she stays as far away from me as possible. I'm surpsied she honestly does still eat from my hand because of how timid she has got, lol.

Yeah, I usually try to move more slowly and sit below her while I feed her to try and make her feel not as threatened.

Back
Top Bottom