Chameleon sleeping with tail submerged in water dish

The chameleon's tail being in the water dish over night should not be a problem IMHO. I'm not a vet and what I say comes from experiences (mine and others) and reading, etc.

When I first started keeping chameleons over 30 years ago I DID have water dishes in the cages...and chameleons DO/WILL drink out of water dishes...some even sleep in them. I always cleaned every dish out every day...but decided after a while that I didn't want to risk bacteria being a problem and quit using them. My initial reason for having them there was to also provide water for the insects in the cage.

Just for the record...chameleons also drink from water that pools in the floor of the cage...which also can carry bacteria.

Also...just for the record...I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING WATER DISHES FOR CHAMELEONS...just because of the possibilities.
Just like I've never recommended using a substrate which can also cause problems. It's often easier to prevent problems than to correct them. For years now I've felt, why risk things....give the chameleons what they need with the least risk to them.

Oh no, you had to bring up substrate. You ready to go to war with me on that subject over some dirt??

Joking! To each their own, I see benefits in substrate, but that's a whole other topic that we won't get into.

today is my day off and with no kids!
Season 4 Weekend GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Well, @jamest0o0 ...they have substrate in the wild and puddles of water at times so who can say it's right or wrong? :) I bet there's animal/bird poop on the branches too!

We can only try do what works in captivity to give them the best longest healthiest lives we can....and that IMHO...leaves a lot of options...some turn out good and some turn out bad.

@SyCam ...I try to keep things simple for newbies so they have the best chance of keeping the chameleon healthy while they learn more.

Let me be the first then somehow? My Trioceros Hoehnelii seems to love his and perches on the side while drinking. He also drinks from the leaves after a misting. I'll have to take a video for you all sometime.

The issue here, though, is in my edit in the previous comment. We are now at 10+ replies to an issue that wasn't an issue at all. An unwanted discussion that I politely tried to sidestep out of respect for you all and your knowledge.
Yeah search for the answer here in the forum. You are not the first one who comes with this. How to take care of a chameleon is something that has been discorverd. Have you looked up how to take care of a chameleon before or after you gotten ? how to feed them, house them, supplement them them, water them?

Sorry that I didn't only stick to your question about the tail being in the water but I did answer it..."The chameleon's tail being in the water dish over night should not be a problem IMHO. I'm not a vet and what I say comes from experiences (mine and others) and reading, etc.".

Back
Top Bottom