Chameleon sleeping during day

Can you please post a picture of the entire enclosure so we can see what your working with?
I got the new lights, and he's already moving more. Thank you. Here's the setup

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_164624884.jpg
    IMG_20200821_164624884.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 84
I got the new lights, and he's already moving more. Thank you. Here's the setup
ok so better having the new lights. You want to remove the carpet in the bottom that is a bacteria breeding ground. You need plants that will fill out that cage. An umbrella plant would be a really good start. The net in the corner is made for a bearded dragon and really should not be used for chams as they have no real way to grip it because they do not walk flat footed.

plant list and you want the Veiled tested only https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

ok so better having the new lights. You want to remove the carpet in the bottom that is a bacteria breeding ground. You need plants that will fill out that cage. An umbrella plant would be a really good start. The net in the corner is made for a bearded dragon and really should not be used for chams as they have no real way to grip it because they do not walk flat footed.

plant list and you want the Veiled tested only https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
Is it ok if I keep the reptile net though? He walks on the side of it. I'll also get another plant, but I haven't found the time to go to Walmart or home depot

Is it ok if I keep the reptile net though? He walks on the side of it. I'll also get another plant, but I haven't found the time to go to Walmart or home depot

It's better if you remove for a couple reasons. Like @Beman said they can't grip it like Beardies can, and they are prone to losing nails in those kinds of nets and hammocks, which can become an infection risk. I went through this too cause the nets and lizard loungers are so cute, but they're really not the best for chameleons and you want the entire cage to be a network of branches and plants for them to hunt, explore, and relax in. The sooner you replace with plants and branches, the happier and healthier your cham would be.

Keep us posted on your progress!! Finding cool plants and branches are my favorite part of chameleon keeping. I just got cholla wood and grapevine. Much cooler and better for foot dexterity and variety than any net. :)

Pothos are another great live plant to have in a cham cage... they are great at filling space/ providing coverage and are super easy to keep alive. Another great one is an umbrella plant like @Beman said: they fill space well, look nice, and I also like the way the leaves hold water. Live plants are essential for maintaining consistent humidity levels.

Back
Top Bottom