Chameleon scratching?

chamnoodle

Your chameleon: Male veiled chameleon, 4-5 months old. I have had him for a month.
  • Handling - once or twice a day. He is very friendly and doesn't seem to mind
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and super worms on occasion. I want to get him some silkworms.
  • Supplements - I dust the food with flukers calcium w/o d3 every feeding and w/ d3 2x a month.
  • Watering - I want to get a mister but at the moment I hand mist, and "drench" the plants with water so there are droplets. I also have a dripper. I have seen him drink and he drank just today.
  • Fecal Description - Had droppings 2 days ago. Was black with white and little tinted yellow.
  • History - n/a

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen cage 24x24x48
  • Lighting - I use a T5HO UVB with a 5.0 bulb. I have a deep dome heat lamp with a 75w bulb. I turn them on/off at 9:30.
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer and at the moment it is at 73F at the middle of the cage. At night it drops down to 63F
  • Humidity - I have a hydrometer and his humidity stays between 65-80.
  • Plants - I have a corn plant in his cage
  • Placement - His cage is in my room, in a corner but not too close to the walls. I dont usually go in there for long amounts of time.
  • Location - NC

Current Problem - He is scratching his head a little and rubbing his feet on the branches. I have live branches in there but I had soaked them before I put them in and just recently changed him cage to a 24x24x48. He had just shed about 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Your chameleon: Male veiled chameleon, 4-5 months old. I have had him for a month.
  • Handling - once or twice a day. He is very friendly and doesn't seem to mind how long do you handle him for?
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and super worms on occasion. I want to get him some silkworms.
  • Supplements - I dust the food with flukers calcium w/o d3 every feeding and w/ d3 2x a month. you will need a multivitamin 2x a month too
  • Watering - I want to get a mister but at the moment I hand mist, and "drench" the plants with water so there are droplets. I also have a dripper. I have seen him drink and he drank just today.
  • Fecal Description - Had droppings 2 days ago. Was black with white and little tinted yellow.
  • History - n/a
Cage Info:

• Lighting - I use a T5HO UVB with a 5.0 bulb. I have a deep dome heat lamp with a 75w bulb. I turn them on/off at 9:30.
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer and at the moment it is at 73F at the middle of the cage. At night it drops down to 63F what is the basking spot temperature?
  • Humidity - I have a hydrometer and his humidity stays between 65-80. drop that down to 40-50%
  • Plants - I have a corn plant in his cage pics?
  • Placement - His cage is in my room, in a corner but not too close to the walls. I dont usually go in there for long amounts of time. is it on the floor or elevated?
  • Location - NC
Current Problem - He is scratching his head a little and rubbing his feet on the branches. I have live branches in there but I had soaked them before I put them in and just recently changed him cage to a 24x24x48. He had just shed about 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any similar experiences?

sounds like shedding, but 2 weeks is a bit soon...

• Handling - once or twice a day. He is very friendly and doesn't seem to mind how long do you handle him for?
  • Supplements - I dust the food with flukers calcium w/o d3 every feeding and w/ d3 2x a month. you will need a multivitamin 2x a month too
  • History - n/a
Cage Info:

• Temperature - I have a thermometer and at the moment it is at 73F at the middle of the cage. At night it drops down to 63F what is the basking spot temperature?
  • Humidity - I have a hydrometer and his humidity stays between 65-80. drop that down to 40-50%
  • Plants - I have a corn plant in his cage pics?
  • Placement - His cage is in my room, in a corner but not too close to the walls. I dont usually go in there for long amounts of time. is it on the floor or elevated?
  • Location - NC

sounds like shedding, but 2 weeks is a bit soon...
I will check the basking spot temp, the cage isnt elevated but I am planning to do so. I handle him for about 10 minutes. Do you have any suggestions on how I can lower the humidity? I have tried before but it constantly stays in the low 70s for the most part.

Attachments

• IMG-2399.JPG
    IMG-2399.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-2398.JPG
    IMG-2398.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I didnt help much. Lol.
I was just trying to help point you in a direction of someone who may know. But to be honest, it seemed like no one knew in that other thread either. 😕
I have seen a few websites and no one seemed to know there either. Some said it only happened once.. odd..

Any chance of mites? You must look very closely, especially near the eyes. And how often do you mist? I also had to work at lowering my daytime humidity, if you mist 2-3 min at lights on and lights off and not at all during the day (with running a dripper) and have some air circulation may help lower humidity, but high humidity nights are recommended and are great for hydration.

I will check the basking spot temp, the cage isnt elevated but I am planning to do so. I handle him for about 10 minutes. Do you have any suggestions on how I can lower the humidity? I have tried before but it constantly stays in the low 70s for the most part.
How often are you misting and how long are you using the dripper? Misting should be for 2 minutes early in the day and in the evening. If using a dripper that should only be for about 20-30 minutes mid day. Without the dripper, add a mid day misting.

Any chance of mites? You must look very closely, especially near the eyes. And how often do you mist? I also had to work at lowering my daytime humidity, if you mist 2-3 min at lights on and lights off and not at all during the day (with running a dripper) and have some air circulation may help lower humidity, but high humidity nights are recommended and are great for hydration.
I will check

I had the same experience with Alexa and I was worried as well and all the research I did pointed mostly toward the shed and the mites. My chameleon started her shed shortly after, but I was constantly checking her for mites like a paranoid mommy 😅

I had the same experience with Alexa and I was worried as well and all the research I did pointed mostly toward the shed and the mites. My chameleon started her shed shortly after, but I was constantly checking her for mites like a paranoid mommy 😅
I get worried quickly 😅 I love him to death. He might be growing quickly as he is about 5 months old

Back
Top Bottom