Chameleon right underneath the heating lamp.

If your using a mercury vapor. You can not use this without a solarmeter 6.5 You are risking extreme over exposure using this on an enclosure. They are best used on a large free range.

I really hate these bulbs and that people recommend them for chams without telling them specifics. Due to their high output of UVI and heat trying to get the right UVI level while trying to get the correct heat level is almost impossible.

I would recommend not using this bulb at all and switch to a regular bulb for heat. Then get the correct UVB lighting which is a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb for it. Basking branch would then sit 8-9 inches down below the screen and the fixture sitting on top of the screen.
Well he has a big side where he is not exposed to this bulb because I did notice it had alot of uvb. U know the worse part? The man put the bulb IN THE TERRARIUM. And I'm planning on getting that uvb lamp I hear great things about it. Also in one of my last comments I actually mentioned carts that measure the UVB they change colors depending on how much radiation it's getting (how darker the purple the more uvb) those actually came with these mercury vapors.

Well he has a big side where he is not exposed to this bulb because I did notice it had alot of uvb. U know the worse part? The man put the bulb IN THE TERRARIUM. And I'm planning on getting that uvb lamp I hear great things about it. Also in one of my last comments I actually mentioned carts that measure the UVB they change colors depending on how much radiation it's getting (how darker the purple the more uvb) those actually came with these mercury vapors.
The cards your talking about do not give you specifics though. I am the type that worries over every aspect so personally I would not rely on the cards.

Do what you need to do for now and adjustments to pull the fixture out of the cage. This in the end is going to be better for your cham. He is at a much higher thermal burn risk with this bulb inside. :(
Sucks that they seem to always build enclosures there for chams where the fixtures are inside. I have seen quite a few people cut out the top and add aluminum window screen... Or remove the top and add aluminum window screen. Might be a good option for you. Then you still have the benefits of it being enclosed for retention of heat and humidity.

What age is your veiled (just saw he’s a male in your first post, sorry!)? 28*C is fine for an adult male’s basking temp. @Beman beat me to it for the mercury vapor bulb. You need to stop using it immediately and set up your Arcadia 6% T5 HO! Also, with veileds, fake plants aren’t good. They need live plants only as fake ones are an impaction risk. The live plants need to chameleon-safe and veiled-tested, too (along with all of them being properly cleaned before putting them in the cage and with rocks too big for him to eat covering the soil in the pots). If you’ve already bought the fake plants, you can hang them on the outside of his cage to add extra privacy!
It's actually a panther chameleon I'm sorry I forgot to mentioned it. He is 10 month. He actually has the mercury vapor for at least 6 months of his life. I didn't see a problem with it because it got actually great reviews. I did worry lately tho. And I was actually planning on getting the Arcadia T5 Pro kit 6% today. I hopefully finish the terrarium next weekend. And give him the right uvb and the husbandry he deserves :)

Back
Top Bottom