Chameleon Misting

Jessicanicolewebb

I’m wondering whether or not I should use a misting machine for my veiled. He hatched May 1st 2019. The breeder recommended that I not use one. Especially while he is young. He said in his experience it hasn’t shown to be beneficial and warned it is more likely to just cause respiratory issues. I’ve heard mixed ideas about this all over the internet. Currently I am using a dripper during the day and misting 2-3 times with a mist bottle daily. The water is filtered and is treated for chlorine. He has an open air screen enclosure. I live in Utah and it is very dry here.

MistKing is the way to go hands down, no question about it. Are you sure he wasn’t referring to a fogger?

I asked about both and that’s what he said. I originally purchased a Mistking and he said I could only have it running for a couple hours a day or he’d get sick, so I’ve been holding off. How often do you run yours?

It is best to do your longer misting sessions before the cage heats up so 2-3 minutes when the lights first come on and just before they go off and either run a dripper or do short mistings (10-15 seconds) just enough to meet your humidity needs during the day. Too much humidity combined with heat is the problem that leads to infections. Over night it is safe to raise the humidity higher because it will be cooler without the basking light. If necessary to get decent night time humidity people use a fogger or cool mist ultrasonic humidifier.

These are the levels you want for a veiled chameleon.
"
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Ambient temperature refers to the temperature near the bottom of the cage and basking temperature refers to the hottest point accessible to your chameleon. Basking is where a chameleon absorbs heat from an external overhead source to help regulate their body temperature; it also promotes proper digestion and a healthy metabolism. Nighttime temperatures can safely drop down to 50F (10C) so a night heat source should not be used unless temperatures are lower than this. If night heat is needed a ceramic heat emitter or space heater should be used, not a light bulb, even red or black bulbs.

Humidity:
Humidity is an important aspect of chameleon husbandry. Veiled chameleons require levels around 40-70%, which can be achieved by several misting sessions a day over all areas of the cage. Live plants help increase and maintain humidity. Sometimes a cool mist humidifier or timer-controlled misting system is needed. See Water & Humidity for more information."

This is from the caresheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I asked about both and that’s what he said. I originally purchased a Mistking and he said I could only have it running for a couple hours a day or he’d get sick, so I’ve been holding off. How often do you run yours?
Ok so one of y’all is confused, don’t know which it is but that’s OK...

A MistKing is mainly for providing “rain” for your Cham to drink, lick up. It can also help with humidity. But it shouldn’t be ran for more than 10 mins at a time, generally. Him saying not to run it more than a couple hours makes me think he’s confused and is under the impression your talking about a fogger.

I’ll leave it at that as Jill has already laid it out for you better than I could have, good advice!^

Back
Top Bottom