Chameleon likes window??

AnnaSun1618

I recently moved my rescue from a little dart frog tank her previous owners had her in, to a reptibreeze XL. Her cage is right beside a window, For the first 2 days i kept my window closed, then the last 2 days i opened my window for sunlight. I noticed when i open it, she runs to the vines that are getting the sunlight, then she goes to the bottom of her cage and paws at the screen, where the sun is pointing. She goes outside every other day for basking, when the window is closed, she climbs back up to her basking light and uvb. Im not sure if she wants the warmth? Or the sun? Or just likes looking out the window? I live in florida so its about 90-100 degrees and her basking light is only 85. Her normal cage temp is 75-80. Should i up my basking light? Right now i use a 60 watt soft white bulb, but package says it lets out as if it was 40 watt.
Also when she does this, she constantly gets stuck beside and behind her lay bin, should i move her plant, basking bulb and uvb near the window?
She never did this in her small cage but i think it was because the basking light covered the entire cage and she really didnt have any place to hide from the light.? Also at night they gave her a purple basking light that was about 130 degrees. She had constant heat and light 24/7. Im so surprised it didnt kill her honestly. So she basically had NO WHERE to hide from the heat and light. The purple basking light was removed the day of receiving her.

Attachments

• 20200514_090558.jpg
    20200514_090558.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I recently moved my rescue from a little dart frog tank her previous owners had her in, to a reptibreeze XL. Her cage is right beside a window, For the first 2 days i kept my window closed, then the last 2 days i opened my window for sunlight. I noticed when i open it, she runs to the vines that are getting the sunlight, then she goes to the bottom of her cage and paws at the screen, where the sun is pointing. She goes outside every other day for basking, when the window is closed, she climbs back up to her basking light and uvb. Im not sure if she wants the warmth? Or the sun? Or just likes looking out the window? I live in florida so its about 90-100 degrees and her basking light is only 85. Her normal cage temp is 75-80. Should i up my basking light? Right now i use a 60 watt soft white bulb, but package says it lets out as if it was 40 watt.
Also when she does this, she constantly gets stuck beside and behind her lay bin, should i move her plant, basking bulb and uvb near the window?
She never did this in her small cage but i think it was because the basking light covered the entire cage and she really didnt have any place to hide from the light.? So im sure she is used to high temps.
Temps seem fine. I suggest filling out a health form and taking pictures of your entire setup. There could potentially be some other issues causing her behavior.

Where can i find the health form? Im very new to this site.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

In the future if you have health related questions, you can click on the forums tab and then click on Health Clinic. One of the pinned threads is titled “how to ask for help”.

For 25 years, mine have loved window time. it didnt matter the temp in the cage, the temp in the room, or the temp outside. That window could be cracked open with 45f air flowing through, and they would still love it.

IMG_20131207_093015.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom