Chameleon going to bed early

SorSor24

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, Got him 6 months ago from Petco so I would guess he is 7-8 months old now, 6 months
  • Handling - Once a week if even
  • Feeding - Dubias as main food and superworms as treat (Stopped feeding crickets because of how annoying they are to keep), 5ish Dubias a day although he only eats 1-3 of them, 5 a day, I goatload in a cricket keeper with squash, carrot, kale, dandelion greens and mustard greens
  • Supplements - I use Earthpro-A every day and RevitaliseD3 every other monday
  • Watering - I mist 4 times everynight to keep a high humidity and my room stays the perfect humidity during the day, Sometimes but not often his eyes are not shrunken though
  • Fecal Description - The main Fecal part is brown and urate is white
  • History - Nothing out of the ordinary, his cask has a little bit of a bend at the top but I think that is because I got him from petco

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24x24x48inch screen enclosure
  • Lighting - Reptisun, T5 5.0 24 inch, Heat lamp and UVB Bulb, 7am to 7 pm UVB lighting and 7am to 10am heat
  • Temperature - 70-80 right now due to it being summer and it being hot in my room, when his basking spot is on its around 85, 75-70 heat gun and hygrometers
  • Humidity -during day around 35-45%, Live plants and dripper that i have on after his basking time, Hygrometers
  • Plants -Yes, Pathos, Fig (Soon to be gone due to it dying right now), umbrella, and palm
  • Placement - In my room, low traffic, corner in my room. about 6 feet
  • Location - Western Washington

Current Problem - Recently my chameleon has started to go to bed an hour earlier than normal and heading to bed about 30 minutes before that. This has raised concern in my household and we have found multiple sources saying different things. I would like to know if this is normal behavior or if something is possibly wrong. Also his cask is a little bent. He has also been climbing on the enclosure but I am going to add more plants soon due to me making it bioactive.

52A36BE8-F54C-4E17-A91C-7854775C3986.jpeg

Attachments

• 89E500D7-D1F3-4A96-8477-318B9DEE74C1.jpeg
    89E500D7-D1F3-4A96-8477-318B9DEE74C1.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 93
A bent casque is a sign of MBD, did you ever take him to an experienced chameleon vet for a wellness check after you got him from Petco or ever had x-rays, fecal checks, or bloodwork done?

Also just a few questions and notes, but overall you're doing really well!
  • How long do you mist for, and times of day/night do you mist?
  • More branches and veiled-tested live plants are never a bad thing!
  • What is the distance between the UVB bulb and basking branch?
  • For the most accurate basking temps taken, you'll want to use a digital thermometer with probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch.
  • Is your hygrometer digital or analog?

What lights do you have on his cage? UVB and other?? Coil or long linear tube or what?

What specific supplements are you using and how often for each?
How heavily do you dust? What are you feeding /gutloading with specifically? I'm particularly looking for D3, PrEformed vitamin A, phos, calcium.

A bent casque is a sign of MBD, did you ever take him to an experienced chameleon vet for a wellness check after you got him from Petco or ever had x-rays, fecal checks, or bloodwork done?

Also just a few questions and notes, but overall you're doing really well!
  • How long do you mist for, and times of day/night do you mist?
  • More branches and veiled-tested live plants are never a bad thing!
  • What is the distance between the UVB bulb and basking branch?
  • For the most accurate basking temps taken, you'll want to use a digital thermometer with probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch.
  • Is your hygrometer digital or analog?
I mist 4 times a night at 2am for 5 minutes, 6am for 6 minutes, 9pm for 6 minutes, and 12am for 1 minute.

I’m planning on adding more branches and possibly some home made vines and plants when I do a heavy cleaning next

Okay I’ll buy one.

My hygrometer is digital.

I mist 4 times a night at 2am for 5 minutes, 6am for 6 minutes, 9pm for 6 minutes, and 12am for 1 minute.

I’m planning on adding more branches and possibly some home made vines and plants when I do a heavy cleaning next

Okay I’ll buy one.

My hygrometer is digital.
Personally, I’d move the 6 minute sessions at 6 am and 9 pm closer to lights on and lights off (at least the 9 pm one), and since your heat bulb turns off in the morning, you could add a misting session in the afternoon after everything cools off so he has a chance to drink during the day. I would take him to a reputable and experienced chameleon vet for at least a general wellness check with x-rays and a fecal test

Back
Top Bottom