Chameleon eggs HELP

Lise_003

Hey all!
First time breeding veiled chameleons..
Eggs are almost 5 months. They were doing great and when I opened up the container lid the eggs all moved around and fell around so I am now worried some are damaged. They are sweating and some collapsed. The sweating is extremely excessive and the eggs are wet. I’m not sure if the eggs are cracked or they will hatch.
(Eggs have sand on them) I didn’t Want to remove sand and injure eggs.

Attachments

• F88F435C-1D5E-46C7-BAAA-51813A2C4E72.jpeg
    F88F435C-1D5E-46C7-BAAA-51813A2C4E72.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 122
  • CB2EB9A0-6F25-4065-B443-A9210E2434FD.jpeg
    CB2EB9A0-6F25-4065-B443-A9210E2434FD.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 124
Hi and welcome. While I’ve never bred chameleons and have very limited knowledge, I do know that the eggs are never to be turned/rolled as the babies can drown inside. Usually to prevent any movement, the eggs are placed in little divots made in the hatching medium. Beyond this, I can only advise not to move the eggs at all and wait to see what happens. Perhaps @kinyonga can offer better advice.

So sorry! That can be nerve-wracking and has happened to the best of us!

I would try to candle them. If you have an LED pen light or other “cool” light (you don’t want to heat them up) you can get an idea of the positioning of the baby. You want the dark part (baby) on the bottom and the light part (air sac) on the top. Once repositioned, the best thing to do is just wait and see.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome. While I’ve never bred chameleons and have very limited knowledge, I do know that the eggs are never to be turned/rolled as the babies can drown inside. Usually to prevent any movement, the eggs are placed in little divots made in the hatching medium. Beyond this, I can only advise not to move the eggs at all and wait to see what happens. Perhaps @kinyonga can offer better advice.
Thank you !!!!

So sorry! That can be nerve-wracking and has happened to the best of us!

I would try to candle them. If you have an LED pen light or other “cool” light (you don’t want to heat them up) you can get an idea of the positioning of the baby. You want the dark part (baby) on the bottom and the light part (air sac) on the top. Once repositioned, the best thing to do is just wait and see.

Good luck!
Thank you so much!!!

Normally the eggs are set in dents in the substrate, as @MissSkittles said. This helps to stop this rolling eggs thing from happening. I don't think I would change it now....but I've never been in a position where I had to decide.

What temperature have you been incubating them at? 150 days seems Elroy for them to be hatching.

How are they doing did they all die or hatch yet? A while back my little one found my eggs & bumped the container. A few moved but still seem to be growing.

Back
Top Bottom