chameleon climbing cage walls

chamnoodle

Hello! my buddy Patterson has recently started climbing the cage walls very frequently. he is about 4-5 months old, i've had him for about 3 weeks. his cage size is 16x16x30 inches. He has plenty of leaves/sticks/plants and looks healthy. He loves being held, in which I hold him once or twice a day and he is almost always a light green. He eats/drinks regularly, about 5-10 small crickets a day or 2-3 super worms. His cage temperature is always between 70-78F (thermometer is at bottom of the cage) but i'm not sure what the temp of his basking area is. His humidity is always between 60-80. He is kept in my room where his cage is in a corner but I made sure to not make it too close to the wall just in case if that made him stressed and I dont come into my room too often except too check on him or grab something. I couldn't think of any reason why he would be climbing the cage walls except for him trying to escape. Every time I open the cage door he makes his way to me and starts climbing up my arm and when I try to put him back in after a little he will try to turn around to go back up my arm. I am new to owning chameleons and this site has been very helpful but I couldn't find an answer to this one. thanks!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-2138.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-2138.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-2280.JPG
    IMG-2280.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi there welcome to the forum. More then likely it is due to the enclosure size. He is approaching maturity and getting larger. you will need to upgrade to a 2x2x4 enclosure.

But can you please post pictures of your enclosure lights down so we can make sure nothing else is missing?

Hi and welcome! :) Yes, I’m afraid he is trying to escape his enclosure. He’s old enough that he’s outgrown it and needs a 2x2x4’ enclosure now. I think you could probably benefit from having a husbandry review just in case. If you could post some pics of your enclosure from lights to floor, that would really be a help too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I design my cages with 1/2" spaced mesh just so they can climb the walls as adults. I do the same with the beardies, they can just shimmy up the sides onto the sunning platform. Nothing wrong with filthy screen climbers, its not due to the layout of the cage. I currently have a tegu with a completely decked out cage, and hes spending his time behind a pile of plywood in a dark closet, or sleeping on the heater vent behind the dresser :)

Hi there welcome to the forum. More then likely it is due to the enclosure size. He is approaching maturity and getting larger. you will need to upgrade to a 2x2x4 enclosure.

But can you please post pictures of your enclosure lights down so we can make sure nothing else is missing?
Hopefully I gave enough info. Heres a picture of the enclosure, I had posted a picture but it must not have loaded, my bad.

Attachments

• IMG-2280.JPG
    IMG-2280.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 110
I design my cages with 1/2" spaced mesh just so they can climb the walls as adults. I do the same with the beardies, they can just shimmy up the sides onto the sunning platform. Nothing wrong with filthy screen climbers, its not due to the layout of the cage. I currently have a tegu with a completely decked out cage, and hes spending his time behind a pile of plywood in a dark closet, or sleeping on the heater vent behind the dresser :)
Thank you for the quick replies this really helps! I think I will start thinking about upgrading soon and if that makes no change I may do that!

Hopefully I gave enough info. Heres a picture of the enclosure, I had posted a picture but it must not have loaded, my bad.
You should fill out the form from above to get some good help and tips. I can tell you right now you'll have to switch out the lights for correct uvb. Just fill out the form the best you can and the good people on here will be able to guide you. Good luck

Hi and welcome! :) Yes, I’m afraid he is trying to escape his enclosure. He’s old enough that he’s outgrown it and needs a 2x2x4’ enclosure now. I think you could probably benefit from having a husbandry review just in case. If you could post some pics of your enclosure from lights to floor, that would really be a help too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon info:

Your Chameleon: Male veiled chameleon about 4-5 months old. I have had him for about 3 weeks.
Handling: I hold him about once or twice a day, he is very friendly
Feeding: I give him 5-10 small crickets a day or 2-3 superworms.
Supplements: I give him calcium/repta boost everyday. Sometimes I will skip a day or two.
Watering: I mist his cage when I feel needed, normally just a few times a day. He also has a drip system and he drinks regularly
Fecal description: mostly white or just a tiny yellow tinted. He had droppings yesterday.
History: n/a

Chameleon Cage:

Cage type: I am not sure what brand the cage is but it is a screen cage and is 16x16x30in
Lighting: He has a UVB light and Heat light. I turn them on at 10am and off at 10pm.
Temperature: the cage is always between 70-85F and naturally drops at night when I turn his lights off.
Humidity: Always between 60-80 but usually kept at around 75.
Plants: He has multiple fake leaves and plants as well as sticks to climb on.
Placement: He is in my room in the corner but not too close to the wall in case that would stress him out.

Current Problem: Climbing cage walls frequently. Often when I open the cage door he heads towards me and climbs onto my arm and doesnt want to go back in his cage.

Hi and welcome my girl climbed her screen top when she was young but when moved to a 2x2x4 she hasn't bothered. But sure you will need to change your lights to t5ho repti sun or arcadia 6% with a separate basking light as the light provided does not project enough uvb

Hi and welcome my girl climbed her screen top when she was young but when moved to a 2x2x4 she hasn't bothered. But sure you will need to change your lights to t5ho repti sun or arcadia 6% with a separate basking light as the light provided does not project enough uvb
Thank you!

Ok so we have some adjustments for husbandry and I will put all my feedback in red bold. Let me know what questions you have.

Chameleon info:

Your Chameleon: Male veiled chameleon about 4-5 months old. I have had him for about 3 weeks.
Feeding: I give him 5-10 small crickets a day or 2-3 superworms. 5 feeders each day and add like 1 superworm and 4 crickets. You can add other feeders for diversity. in another month you want to switch him to every other day feeding of 5 feeders. Then when he is 9 months old you will drop back to 3 feeders every other day.
Supplements: I give him calcium/repta boost everyday. Sometimes I will skip a day or two. No repta boost. You want a calcium without D3 for every feeding and then Reptivite with D3 which is a multivitamin and calcium with D3. This one would be given 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. No skipping days supplement the feeders by lightly coating the feeders. Should not look like powdered donuts.
Watering: I mist his cage when I feel needed, normally just a few times a day. He also has a drip system and he drinks regularly. Mist morning and evening for about 2 minutes each time. Make sure your misting the plants so he has the opportunity to drink.
Fecal description: mostly white or just a tiny yellow tinted. He had droppings yesterday.

Chameleon Cage:

Cage type: I am not sure what brand the cage is but it is a screen cage and is 16x16x30in you will need to get a 2x2x4 enclosure soon.
Lighting: He has a UVB light and Heat light. I turn them on at 10am and off at 10pm. Incorrect UVB lighting. You want to get a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Get the 24 inch fixture because you will want this size for the adult cage.
THis https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html

Temperature: the cage is always between 70-85F and naturally drops at night when I turn his lights off.
Humidity: Always between 60-80 but usually kept at around 75. So they actually need a lower daytime humidity. So you do not want to try to get it higher. Daytime level for a Veiled is 30-50% max end.
Plants: He has multiple fake leaves and plants as well as sticks to climb on. You will want to get live plants because Veileds eat their plants. Fake ones are an impaction risk. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
Placement: He is in my room in the corner but not too close to the wall in case that would stress him out.

Current Problem: Climbing cage walls frequently. Often when I open the cage door he heads towards me and climbs onto my arm and doesnt want to go back in his cage.
Part of this is due to the lack of proper UVB lighting and because of his age and starting to need more space.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Ok so we have some adjustments for husbandry and I will put all my feedback in red bold. Let me know what questions you have.

Chameleon info:

Feeding: I give him 5-10 small crickets a day or 2-3 superworms. 5 feeders each day and add like 1 superworm and 4 crickets. You can add other feeders for diversity. in another month you want to switch him to every other day feeding of 5 feeders. Then when he is 9 months old you will drop back to 3 feeders every other day.
Supplements: I give him calcium/repta boost everyday. Sometimes I will skip a day or two. No repta boost. You want a calcium without D3 for every feeding and then Reptivite with D3 which is a multivitamin and calcium with D3. This one would be given 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. No skipping days supplement the feeders by lightly coating the feeders. Should not look like powdered donuts.
Watering: I mist his cage when I feel needed, normally just a few times a day. He also has a drip system and he drinks regularly. Mist morning and evening for about 2 minutes each time. Make sure your misting the plants so he has the opportunity to drink.

Chameleon Cage:

Cage type: I am not sure what brand the cage is but it is a screen cage and is 16x16x30in you will need to get a 2x2x4 enclosure soon.
Lighting: He has a UVB light and Heat light. I turn them on at 10am and off at 10pm. Incorrect UVB lighting. You want to get a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Get the 24 inch fixture because you will want this size for the adult cage.
THis https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html

Humidity: Always between 60-80 but usually kept at around 75. So they actually need a lower daytime humidity. So you do not want to try to get it higher. Daytime level for a Veiled is 30-50% max end.
Plants: He has multiple fake leaves and plants as well as sticks to climb on. You will want to get live plants because Veileds eat their plants. Fake ones are an impaction risk. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Part of this is due to the lack of proper UVB lighting and because of his age and starting to need more space.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

View attachment 284306View attachment 284307
what size UVB light?

Back
Top Bottom