Chameleon acting strange - Gravid?

Hi everyone,
So my 5 month old veiled chameleon just shed her skin, it went very well, no stuck she’d anywhere or anything luckily :)
One thing though, since the day after she she’s she’s been acting slightly strange, she hasn’t been as active as she normally is and her colours seem to be a bit different since the day after/just after she shed, she’s a bit paler and not as bright but still healthy looking. She’s been eating fine, maybe even a little more than usual. Was wondering if this is normal behaviour after a shed due to the stress of it or if any of these were signs of her being pregnant (she hasn’t been impregnated by a male) or maybe egg bound? This is the first time she’s she’s with me so I’m a bit concerned.
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 6B23C2F6-CF34-465D-8DDE-C30B44CE4EA7.jpeg
    6B23C2F6-CF34-465D-8DDE-C30B44CE4EA7.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 94
She looks a bit young to be Gravid. She’s not really displaying receptive or gravid colours. She does look kinda chubby but could be the pic. Almost looks like she’s going to shed again.

She looks a bit young to be Gravid. She’s not really displaying receptive or gravid colours. She does look kinda chubby but could be the pic. Almost looks like she’s going to shed again.

I agree with the above she does look a little young to be Gravid. Can you fill out the help form. Just to make sure there is nothing else. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Yes she is only about 4/5 months old, what age can they start to lay eggs?
And she’s doing a lot better now actually, maybe she just took a couple of days to distress from all of the itchy skin. Her colour is back to normal and she’s getting back to her normal behaviour :)

She will get her big girl colors/pattern of mustardy yellow splotches and blue polka dots before she needs to lay eggs. It can happen as early as 5 or 6 months depending on how fast they grow. As soon as she gets those markings, if you overfeed her, she will produce a large clutch if eggs, may develop MBD and other issues that can cause health problems...so you will want to cut her back then and keep her basking temperature in the low 80's F.

They can start laying eggs as early as 6 months. Most keepers with females adjust their feeding schedule and temps to keep them from ovulating or producing large clutches. Veiled females are notorious for producing large clutches which is very taxing on their bodies. If you don’t have one set up already, she will need a permanent laybin in her enclosure.

She will get her big girl colors/pattern of mustardy yellow splotches and blue polka dots before she needs to lay eggs. It can happen as early as 5 or 6 months depending on how fast they grow. As soon as she gets those markings, if you overfeed her, she will produce a large clutch if eggs, may develop MBD and other issues that can cause health problems...so you will want to cut her back then and keep her basking temperature in the low 80's F.
Thanks for the info! Just to clarify, do they always get those markings, even if they weren’t impregnated?

They can start laying eggs as early as 6 months. Most keepers with females adjust their feeding schedule and temps to keep them from ovulating or producing large clutches. Veiled females are notorious for producing large clutches which is very taxing on their bodies. If you don’t have one set up already, she will need a permanent laybin in her enclosure.
Hi, yes I think I’ll get one, just to make sure though, did you mean most keepers adjust their feeding schedules when they have eggs inside them, or when they are of an age when they are able to lay eggs?

Yes...they get markings indicating they are receptive...then add dark background colors when a male is around if they are not receptive because they are already making eggs.

Yes...they get markings indicating they are receptive...then add dark background colors when a male is around if they are not receptive because they are already making eggs.
Ok so I won’t really have to worry about her getting egg bound just yet if she doesn’t show her receptive colours?

You shouldn't have to worry about it for at least a month after the first day she gets her big girl colors ...but I have seen the odd chameleon whose big girl colors aren't as bright as normal.

Hi, yes I think I’ll get one, just to make sure though, did you mean most keepers adjust their feeding schedules when they have eggs inside them, or when they are of an age when they are able to lay eggs?
When they are of age then adjust the feeding schedule. Kinyonga is the go to for female care. She has many years of experience so whatever she said do that lol!

You shouldn't have to worry about it for at least a month after the first day she gets her big girl colors ...but I have seen the odd chameleon whose big girl colors aren't as bright as normal.
Ok thanks a lot for the help :) and by big girl colours do you mean receptive colours? Or like final adult colours? :)

Back
Top Bottom