Chamaeleon unhappy in cage but I don’t know why

Hi Nico, you own a Veiled Chameleon by nature they are unhappy mean little jerks and we love them for it. I'm guessing by you hovering around its enclosure and filming him and such his stressing him somewhat and pissing him off. This is pretty typical. Just know Veils are never going to be "happy" with you. :)

His basking temp could go up to 85*F if he’s cold. Take out the black light ASAP. Only use a very low wattage ceramic heat emitter if nights get colder than 50-60*F. When was the last time his UVB was changed? Agree with @Beman on how small the cage looks

Also, can he see his reflection in that window, and is the window energy efficient or does it let heat/cold in?

Hi! :) There’s a few things that I see that need to be changed. He needs a much larger enclosure...a 2x2x4’ is minimum size for adult veileds. It also needs to be much higher. Living in trees, they feel safest when higher than us. Live plants has already been mentioned. Hang the fake ones on the outside of his enclosure to give him more sense of privacy.

Moved him...And I’m not sure this is an upgraded cage as the previous one was much smaller. Is he already an adult at seven months? I was told this will be sufficient for up to a year

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 38
Moved him...And I’m not sure this is an upgraded cage as the previous one was much smaller. Is he already an adult at seven months? I was told this will be sufficient for up to a year
The minimum sized cage requirement for male veileds is 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall, but going 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or bigger is always recommended! He still needs all of his fake plants taken out of his cage, too. Replace them all with properly washed off chameleon-safe plants that have rocks too big for him to eat covering the soil. How old is his UVB bulb?

Back
Top Bottom